Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,911 times

Advertisements

I moved to this area 6 years ago from a very nice area far from downtown. You have all kind of people, nice, dirty, there is noice, animals running loose, etc. but the houses are of an incredible construction - mine is from 1934 and NO MAJOR REPAIRS were needed. The neighborhoods around Polk are very nice, there are new people moving in. The kroger is changing, slowly, slowly things are changing for the better. But if you think of a quite, mostly crime free and good investment place...... move to the east end. Polk, Rusk, Lakewood, Dumble, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 PM

I forgot the most important my house value raise to 4 times the original price in 6 years. you can't beat that.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Yes, I was there. I live close to the Jefferson High School -near Polk and Dumble; in a very "nice, quiet, well kept, family oriented, friendly atmosphere neighborhood" and there were some houses, the ones facing the cementery that got some water, not much; the rest of us we just sat on the porch enojoying the rain................... -

Old 08-21-2007, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 22,564 times
Default Flood issues?

Are there any issues with flooding in this neighborhood and roads / highways leading to and from it?

Would this area have been impacted by Hurricane Dean?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 AM

48 posts, read 267,847 times
Yes, there's street flooding. Last week when we got the rains from Erin, the Cullen and Elgin/Lockwood underpasses had high water. So did parts of Leeland, and down at the Lockwood/Harrisubrg intersection. The streets that comprise the heart of Eastwood stay high and dry, for the most part, but yes--high water in the area for a short while. Access to 45 could be blocked. Eastwood is not in a flood plain and not threatened by the bayous.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:35 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,624,386 times
Eastwood is a good place to ride out a storm, but it might become an island in a flood. The 45 feeders and underpasses always go under, and the bayous/ship channel are still near enough to make roads going out impassible. Just have your supplies and be prepared to not have power. Those houses are well built, have stood up through hurricanes before and most people there have no reason to evacuate in all but perhaps the worst-case (Category-5?) scenario.

When it appeared Dean still had a chance to come into the Gulf and threaten the area, were people in Eastwood anywhere near as panicky and ready to move out like other people not in immediate hurricane surge danger (like NW Houston or The Woodlands)? If not, that's the kind of place I'd like to live.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM

48 posts, read 267,847 times
I agree on the 'island' scenario. Access to 45 would be cut off and in the event of a major flood situation, most of downtown would be made inaccesable by Buffalo Bayou; getting out to the north or west would likely be out of the question. I imagine there are a lot of old timers who aren't going anywhere. If you look at the evacuation map, large parts of the East End are in the outer zone but I can't tell if Eastwood is or not. My house sits up unusually high even for this neighborhood, so my concern is wind. I'd probably stay put, and board up.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:51 AM

11 posts, read 22,564 times
grifsmom & jfre81 - thanks for the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston