Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,180,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhohem View Post
Hello, have been following the posts but couldn't tell from that map which of the 15-40 homes (?) might be most affected, as stated. (?)

Actually there IS disclosure, and if you take time to read the DelRoc report, it says no public health hazard.

What I want to know is: Does anyone know what happened to the adjoining area, near W. Gulf Bank (near where all the trailers are)? Why is it undeveloped? Did a storm go through and wipe out houses, or did the developer go broke so never finished the sub-division? Same thing on other side of Fairbanks North Houston. Anyone know the history, and who owns the property now?
Really? You've been following this post for three + years? that's amazing.

ronnie
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,952 times
Default White Oak Bayou

Thanks very much. So, the area DID flood at some point?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,878,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhohem View Post
Thanks very much. So, the area DID flood at some point?
Yes, TS Allison did it in. We have several friends & now a neighbor that lived over there. The government bought them out.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,917,625 times
You can read more about the federal flood management and buyout program here:
Harris County Flood Control District - White Oak Bayou Watershed

Old 05-25-2013, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,874 times
RESIDENT 2010........You mentioned the property I once owned.

YOU WROTE
"The photos you see here and in the paper of supposed "oil" leaching from the Provensano's yard is not petroleum. It's tea. The landscaping around here used mulch made from shredded bark at the community recycling center. When it's fresh, is has a strong odor (that someone not familiar with wood products might confuse for petroleum) and it sometimes stains the water--it's tea. Enlarge the pictures posted here and you can plainly see their is none of the color made by interference by a layer of oil on the surface of water. It's tea. It's harmless"

You are an idiot and and have no clue of the lie you just told regarding the above mentioned property. TEA MY "ASS" you should be held liable for that lie. You have no idea of the State testing or Independant testing done that surely never concluded Tea or bark...By the way smarty britches there was never an odor....Don't even go there with me. www.boobietrapinvestigations.com

Miklyn M. Provenzano

Old 05-26-2013, 10:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,063,955 times
I rented a house in Woodwind Lakes for a year. It's a nice neighborhood. As for the oil, I looked into it and couldn't find enough to really convince me either way. However there was enough talk about it for me to think it wasn't the best investment for my money (I looked at several houses to buy in the neighborhood, including the one I rented) regardless of any potential risk to health so I didn't investigate further and instead looked elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:04 AM
fnh

Houses seem to be moving here pretty quickly, only three active listings at this time. We still haven't found as nice a neighborhood for the price and location. The same person comes back here to revive his grudge periodically, lol, but there simply is no discernible risk for those small number of houses built on the site where operations ceased a half century ago.

An aside, I always thought the lakes were completely man-made, but one of my elderly neighbors talked about fishing here in the ponds in his younger days. Fun to hear about the neighborhood in the 'olden times'.

p.s. I also noticed Oildog removed one of my earlier posts. What gives? I'm dead certain I never posted anything offensive or derogatory.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:09 AM

536 posts, read 1,063,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Houses seem to be moving here pretty quickly, only three active listings at this time. We still haven't found as nice a neighborhood for the price and location. The same person comes back here to revive his grudge periodically, lol, but there simply is no discernible risk for those small number of houses built on the site where operations ceased a half century ago.

An aside, I always thought the lakes were completely man-made, but one of my elderly neighbors talked about fishing here in the ponds in his younger days. Fun to hear about the neighborhood in the 'olden times'.

p.s. I also noticed Oildog removed one of my earlier posts. What gives? I'm dead certain I never posted anything offensive or derogatory.
My father-in-law was telling me he remembered when they started clearing all the trees to create the neighborhood (they actually live in the next neighborhood over in Rolling Fork) and that it used to be pretty dense forest. Apparently he and his brothers used to play there when they were younger.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:29 AM
fnh

Thankfully they didn't clear all the trees which seems to be the common procedure in these parts. The mature trees and landscaping were the biggest attraction for us when we moved here from Seattle.

Rolling Fork is another great little neighborhood, my kids swim on their swim team and there is a close-knit neighborly feel. It's pretty well kept for an older neighborhood and I think it's another undiscovered gem for price and location. It is especially popular with French teachers at my kids' school, there are half a dozen or so who live or have lived there.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
My father-in-law was telling me he remembered when they started clearing all the trees to create the neighborhood (they actually live in the next neighborhood over in Rolling Fork) and that it used to be pretty dense forest. Apparently he and his brothers used to play there when they were younger.
It was a dense forest before it was built. I lived in Burger Estates. Right next to Rolling fork and woodwind lakes. We would rides bikes and off road 4 wheelers though the forest on trails. Many of the streets followed the old trails. It was sad to see the forest bulldozed and the nature ruined as they built the several different sections of woodwind lakes. The flooding that followed was the beginning of the end. Then the government came in and bought out the homes along rolling fork creek, right outside woodwind lakes.

I remember there being thoughts about the old oil operations and chemicals in the water causing problems going back to my childhood and that was in the 70's. Everyone of my family members has a thyroid problem and several of us have discovered other medical issues. We are all now in our 30's and. 40's. There were many oil and chemical operations in and around that area. One of the trails we road bikes on went to a clearing in the forest that was from a long abandoned site. We would jump our bikes and four wheeler off the humps of dirt left over from what ever they did there.

It was a beautiful are but built on broken dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: