Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

I think all should be a race. The US Census has confused us all. What makes the Hispanics so special to where they become an ethnicity?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I think all should be a race. The US Census has confused us all. What makes the Hispanics so special to where they become an ethnicity?
There is no single specific background for Hispanic so I don't know what sort of good there is in asking?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
See, I didn't know that. I get it now since alot of them claim to be white. Heeeeey, I'm learning here, missy!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
See, I didn't know that. I get it now since alot of them claim to be white. Heeeeey, I'm learning here, missy!
Well Hispanic originally meant descended from the Hispanic peninsula (Spain and Portugal). the US has changed the definition many times though.
Some people who are listed as Hispanic have no Spanish or Portuguese blood in them.

The term Latin american has its confusions but it is still more representative because that area IS referred to as Latin american.

There was even one census where they took the entire family as Hispanic if the primary bread winner in the house spoke Spanish.

When they tell you that Hispanic is the largest minority in the US and that the numbers of whites are slipping below 50% in a few decades, that is a load of crap. A huge number of white people who were listed as white in the 6's and 70's are all of a sudden listed as Hispanic now.

Its pure politics in order to form another voting block and further divide america.

Hispanic is not an ethnicity, nor is it a race. The US should just stick with nation of origin and be done with all that extra nonsense.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Well Hispanic originally meant descended from the Hispanic peninsula (Spain and Portugal). the US has changed the definition many times though.
Some people who are listed as Hispanic have no Spanish or Portuguese blood in them.

The term Latin american has its confusions but it is still more representative because that area IS referred to as Latin american.

There was even one census where they took the entire family as Hispanic if the primary bread winner in the house spoke Spanish.

When they tell you that Hispanic is the largest minority in the US and that the numbers of whites are slipping below 50% in a few decades, that is a load of crap. A huge number of white people who were listed as white in the 6's and 70's are all of a sudden listed as Hispanic now.

Its pure politics in order to form another voting block and further divide america.

Hispanic is not an ethnicity, nor is it a race. The US should just stick with nation of origin and be done with all that extra nonsense.
the penisula that Portgual and Spain share is called the Iberian penisula......

Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
Hispanic Penisula is another name for it.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
I think that is a big undercount because the 2000 figure was also 495K. Doubt that the city's black population only grew by 200. Cousin Rae-rae alone had that many kids since Ike.

The 2009 estimate of 510K sounds about right. Hope we win or challenge
The City of Houston lost Blacks last decade.

Databases - Census 2010 in Texas - chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/databases/census2010texas-results.html?appSession=731212573505261&RecordID=7 01&PageID=3&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=&CP IorderBy= - broken link)

Of course, this is without the challenge.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
same darn thing hun:

ORB: The Online Reference Book for Medieval Studies

Quote:
Hispanic (Spanish: hispano, hispánico) is a term that originally denoted a relationship to Hispania, which is to say the Iberian Peninsula. Hispania was the Roman name for the Iberian Peninsula. Under the Republic, Hispania was divided into two provinces: Hispania Citerior and Hispania Ulterior. During the Modern Era, Hispanic sometimes takes on a more limited meaning, relating to the contemporary nation of Spain, one of the successor states of Hispania.

The term has also been used to denote the culture and people of countries formerly ruled by the Spanish Empire, usually with a majority Hispanophone population. Collectively known as Hispanic America, this region includes Mexico, Cuba and the majority of the Central and South American countries, and most of the Greater Antilles. "Hispanic" is also used by people in the United States who are of Hispanic American origin (Hispanic and Latino Americans). Cultural elements (Spanish names, the Spanish language, Spanish customs, etc.) and people known as Hispanic can also be found in other areas that were formerly part of the Spanish Empire, such as in Equatorial Guinea in Africa.
Point is if you could be from Europe, Brazil, Antartica, Africa or Mexico, you do not share the similar ethnic traits so why the heck is the government trying to lump them together and call it an ethnicity.

Shoot, they should lump all the former British territories together and call people from there Anglo. Nigerians, Indians, Australians, Trinidadians all Anglo

Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The City of Houston lost Blacks last decade.

Databases - Census 2010 in Texas - chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/databases/census2010texas-results.html?appSession=731212573505261&RecordID=7 01&PageID=3&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=&CP IorderBy= - broken link)

Of course, this is without the challenge.
Hmm, these numbers are slightly different from the database I used.

Anyway, doubt the city lost population. I know Katy and Pearland gained a lot, but a lot still came into the metro from other metros.

I demand a recount

Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
I'm 25% Spanish as in Spain-Spaniard... born in the 70s and that side of the family = fair-skinned whites, some with green eyes. But if the above is true, maybe I should look into getting my status changed, so I can reap some grants and other freebees, maybe LULAC can help me get some reparations too. Anyway it's just so uncool nowadays to be labeled as "white."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston