Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:15 PM

37 posts, read 226,096 times

Advertisements

I am driving to houston from los angeles and following the mapquest directions since i have never driven there before are the any detours that anyone would recommend to use or avoid i am looking to do some sight seeing along the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,574,876 times
You're taking a roadtrip I've only been able to dream of thus far....all I can say is enjoy and make sure your ride's ready for that haul. Good tires, good brakes, good everything. Have fun.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:51 PM

499 posts, read 2,158,067 times
to see?
well, you'll see 10 hours of sand, then Tucson on the first day. If you're in no hurry, the highway that runs south through Ajo, then to Tucson is much prettier than the bigger highway. Be VERY careful driving through Ajo - it's a good old fashioned speed trap, the kind you thought existed only in 50's movies.
Leaving Tucson, you'll see 10 hours of desert scenery, passing El Paso at some point, and ending up in Fort Stockton. I recommend the large burger at the truck stop. And believe the lady when she tells you it's big. It is as big as a small pizza.

On day three you will start to see plants, cactus or trees. And the nearer you get to San Antonio, the taller the foliage gets. The desert is prettier at this point, I think. I saw quite a few deer, you wonder what they eat out there. As you near Houston at the end of day 3, you'll start seeing green again. I remember a rib place on the side of the road, big mountain of a man cooking on an outside grill, slapping barbecue sauce all over the meat. I ate like there was no tomorrow.

I didn't see much, anyway There was one place on the highway out there that claimed to have remains of an alien, but you had to pay to see it and I didn't feel like doing it. I guess that was New Mexico, but I can't remember.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:19 PM

657 posts, read 2,546,344 times
Get ready to see a whole lot of nothing between El Paso and San Antonio. I've made that drive before and it's really empty. Watch for the Indian reservation speed traps in Arizona. I would reward myself with a couple of days in Austin after that long journey.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:19 PM

168 posts, read 772,919 times
Santa Fe, New Mexico is a really fun place to spend a day or two. In Texas Big Bend National Park, the Stockyards in Ft. Worth, Austin, New Braunfels and San Antonio are all worth seeing.

If time isn't a factor treat yourself to a few days drive around Colorado before you hit Texas. I know it's really out of the way, but it's gorgeous in the summer and there are lots of great towns and things to see there (Durango, Denver, Aspen, Vail, Manitou, Pike's Peak, Carlsbad Caverns).

A travel atlas would be really helpful so you know where all the national parks and cool scenic stops are. By the way, I-10 in Houston is under construction. If you're coming in that way try to avoid coming anytime near rush hour.

Enjoy the trip!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:50 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,460,210 times
Isn't there an immigration checkpoint near El Paso? Do I need to bring my Passport?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:44 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,839 times
I-10, head east. You may get a border stop in Arizona to confiscate any fruit you may have. There shouldn't be any other border patrols. If so, your valid driver's license should be suitable.

Take lots of water. Don't run low on gas. Try to catch some sunrises and sunsets in New Mexico.

Lift your feet off the floor board while crossing the Rio Grande.

Like mjewell says, avoid rush hours. You'll be crossing two time zones.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Isn't there an immigration checkpoint near El Paso? Do I need to bring my Passport?

No, you can just sneak across like the rest of our our friends from south of the border do....

Old 07-29-2007, 01:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,460,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
I-10, head east. You may get a border stop in Arizona to confiscate any fruit you may have. There shouldn't be any other border patrols. If so, your valid driver's license should be suitable.

Take lots of water. Don't run low on gas. Try to catch some sunrises and sunsets in New Mexico.

Lift your feet off the floor board while crossing the Rio Grande.

Like mjewell says, avoid rush hours. You'll be crossing two time zones.
No, it's California that confiscates fruit. The other things like the gas and water make me hate the west. Unlike the East, gas stations along the highway outside of towns/cities are a rarity. Don't accelerate through the mountains--the elevation will make the engine work too hard and it will start to overheat. The only place I feel safe on that trip is arriving in the L.A. area.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:12 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,487 times
Oh yeah, I've done that when I used to sleep until high noon. Got up at 4 am and drove from Houston straight to L.A. in 22 hours. Of course, I wouldn't anymore since I got out of college and now must stick to a regular biological clock.

Nice to drive through the desert at night because the heat will beat the a/c. I cringe for those who have to drive a convertible through that area.

Why don't you take a friend with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston