Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 05:15 PM

471 posts, read 856,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobby View Post
the second tier of uc schools (ucsb, uci) in ca are better than anything in texas.
troll

Old 03-20-2011, 05:50 PM

145 posts, read 384,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
troll
Not really; this is pretty much factually correct with the exception of UT-Austin and maybe A&M (plus Rice if you want to include private schools). Every campus in the UC System is highly-ranked. The Cal State System (Fresno State, San Diego State, etc.) is more run-of-the-mill and comparable to universities like UH or Texas Tech. The poster could have stated the opinion in a more civil fashion, however. And it remains to be seen whether California can maintain the level of excellence they've established at so many campuses in these austere times.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,130,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Yes H-Town. I do get the Miami comparisons. My mother born and raised in Miami said Houston reminds her of her hometown
well, many people get different impressions of different places, I got the similarities to LA and NOLA, I have not gotten the Miami/ATL ones

Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,130,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
BTW, I also disagree with the poster that said Houston is like Dallas with a hint of Beaumont. Yes there are similarities but I think the differences outweigh them. I don't think Dallas looks like Houston for one. I also get a different feel between the two. The DFW metroplex is more stereotypical Texan than Houston. It is also more like the mid-south with a slight bit of Southwest and Great Plains Midwest (though very small).

Houston, OTOH, is more Southern and that's Gulf Coast Southern at that. It looks more like a city out of Southern Louisiana than anything in the rest of Texas. Not to mention that Houston has a large creyol and cajun influence from Southern Louisianans moving to Houston over the decades if not entire century and you get a different feel.
I agree quite a bit with the bolded part, and plus one for the attempt at spelling creole with a creole twist

Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM

89 posts, read 153,533 times
Back to the topic, y'all!
I didn't tap all those Morse code messages to the Allies 'til my shoes filled with blood to just roll out the welcome mat for the trolls.
Yes, they're SO much alike. After getting wasted at East/West Lounge I wandered in a daze through the streets, and the hookers asking for money were JUST like the ones I've encountered in Montrose. It was eerie, actually.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,288,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Back to the topic, y'all!
I didn't tap all those Morse code messages to the Allies 'til my shoes filled with blood to just roll out the welcome mat for the trolls.
Yes, they're SO much alike. After getting wasted at East/West Lounge I wandered in a daze through the streets, and the hookers asking for money were JUST like the ones I've encountered in Montrose. It was eerie, actually.
They were the same hookers - just there on vacation. Disneyland is expensive.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 PM

471 posts, read 856,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
Not really; this is pretty much factually correct with the exception of UT-Austin and maybe A&M (plus Rice if you want to include private schools). Every campus in the UC System is highly-ranked. The Cal State System (Fresno State, San Diego State, etc.) is more run-of-the-mill and comparable to universities like UH or Texas Tech. The poster could have stated the opinion in a more civil fashion, however. And it remains to be seen whether California can maintain the level of excellence they've established at so many campuses in these austere times.
I didn't even know what UCI stands for until I looked that up on google. Enough said.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
FDO

105 posts, read 316,024 times
keep in mind that Houston has no earthquake like LA!!!!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 14,020,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDO View Post
keep in mind that Houston has no earthquake like LA!!!!
Keep in mind that LA doesn't have hurricanes like Houston does.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:04 PM
FDO

105 posts, read 316,024 times
Which is more dangerous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston