Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 AM

174 posts, read 666,581 times

Advertisements

Caroline......thanks for the thorough information....I will PM you when I get there in early October. I am now interested in the public pre-k programs since I have never heard of anything other than headstart and our income is too high for that.

I really appreciate the help all has given me here...you Texans are really great people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
To be clear, the tuition-based pre-K is for kids who do not meet the eligibility requirements. These kids may attend public pre-K, but they have to pay a flat rate (I couldn't find info for Spring ISD, but according to the HISD website, it's a state-set fee of $405). However, if your income falls within the federal guidelines, or your child qualifies under other conditions as noted in the following link HISD Connect - Early Childhood and Prekindergarten Programs (http://www.houstonisd.org/HISDConnectDS/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5e95daffc7ed2110VgnVCM10000028 147fa6RCRD&vgnextchannel=a84c2f796138c010VgnVCM100 00052147fa6RCRD - broken link), she may attend public pre-K for free. As you will note, neither of these options is based on a sliding scale. You will need to get in touch with Spring ISD to find out if the same holds true for their school district.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 AM

Whether I have to pay or not, I am just amazed that Texas has this program available for 4 year olds and definately going to look further into this.
That's $405 a month?
Thanks Houstoner for the info.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 AM

268 posts, read 1,488,966 times
Default paid pre-K tuition is $405 per month through HISD

This is copied from the HISD web site:

HISD is now offering prekindergarten on a tuition basis to students who do not meet the eligibility requirements to attend prekindergarten for free.

Beginning in the 2007–2008 school year, parents may enroll their four-year-old child (child must be four years of age on or before September 1 of a given school year) in a full-day, ten-month HISD prekindergarten program at participating neighborhood schools (on a space-available basis), for a state-set fee of $405 per month.

Schools Offering Tuition-Based Pre-K:

Briarmeadow Charter
Barbara Bush Elementary School
Ray K. Daily Elementary School
Julius Dodson Elementary School*
Garden Oaks Elementary School**
Harvard Elementary School
James Helms Elementary School
Jennie Kolter Elementary School
Cynthia A. Parker Elementary School
Samuel Red Elementary School
William B. Travis Elementary School
William Wharton Elementary School
Tina Whidby Elementary School*
Woodrow Wilson Elementary School

*Montessori Magnet—Montessori application required
**Montessori Tuition/Non-Magnet
Eligibility requirements to attend prekindergarten for free are:

unable to speak and comprehend the English language
educationally disadvantaged
homeless, as defined by 42U.S.C Section 11302
is the child of an active-duty member of the armed forces, including the state military forces or reserve component of the U.S.; or is the child of an armed-forces member who was injured, killed, or missing-in-action while serving on active duty
To obtain additional information about tuition-based prekindergarten, call the Early Childhood Department at 713-556-6882, or a participating school.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 AM

Oh thanks again, that is very reasonable and probably a great advantage for my little guy. I will definately have to check into it, I hope what ever district I move into isn't full.

Does anyone know about the program; full day, schedule, child to teacher ratio, etc?

Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 AM

5 posts, read 50,655 times
Hello everyone. I am looking for a public preschool for my child in the NW Houston area. She has limited English proficiency but I could not get past the birthday requirement of September 1. My daughter will be 4 years old on September 2 this year. Do you know and have any similiar situation that the school will allow admission any way? Is there some sort of grace period past the September 1? I have choices of Klein ISD, Cy-Fair ISD, Spring ISD. Any information on this will be grateful. Thanks everyone!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,048 times
I also just tried calling the Spring ISD school in my neighborhood and was told they could not give me the income level in order to qualify to enroll my daughter who is already 4 and will not turn 5 until November! The registrar did tell me although that the income qualifications are the same as to apply for free or reduced lunch, I think you can get an application online or maybe you can get one at a nearby school and then you can see if your income qualifies. If I find an old one that my daughters brought from last year I will post the income level amounts per the number of family members in a household. Good Luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,060 times
My grandaughter is three she'll be four in august 20th,i live in spring,what pre-k will she be attending?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Frazer1958 View Post
My grandaughter is three she'll be four in august 20th,i live in spring,what pre-k will she be attending?
PreK is not required, so unless she has special needs, she will probably go to any private preK that her parents send her to or to the school district one *if* she qualifies by income or can pay and they have spots.

Look at the school district site and you should be able to see what school she is zoned for based on her home address.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM

25 posts, read 59,744 times
Primrose Schools offer top notch preperation for your child. The accreditations they carry are not easy to get and they have actual curriculum that teaches math,reading, science, geology,etc. So you know you are getting quality with them. My children have been attending and my 5yr old is starting first grade early due to their ACTUAL curriculum. My 4yr old I am confident will start school a year early as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: