Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,444 times

Advertisements

Hi --

Trying to pick a neighborhood in Katy area but really HOPING to be close to I-10 to help with the commute in town.

We are considering building a home in the new Retreat portion of WoodCreek Reserve in Katy with Ashton Woods builders. Does anyone live in this section or in WCR that can give us some insight? Any experience with Ashton Woods?

Firethorne is a consideration. The Cinco Ranch/Seven Lakes area is nice, but too far from I-10 for our tastes I think.

I have always heard that building is more expensive but with the down economy they seem to be offering incentives and I love the floorplans (AW in WoodCreek Reserve).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,667 times
Default Why is post deleted

I took time to answer this persons post and it was deleted - may I ask why?
Thanks!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 22,381 times
I am also considering moving to Woodcreek Reserve. It seems like a quiet retreat within the city. I like the fact that it is not very big and MAINLY that there is quick access to I-10. I also love the idea of the 2 shopping centers that are supposed to open very near the subdivision. Even though the retreat aspect attracts me I still want the convenience of nearby shopping. I find it odd that Katy does not have a comprehensive shopping center such as what the Woodlands (absolutely love their shopping center; very nice) and even Sugarland has (not as nice as the one in the Woodlands but it is still quite nice). I know Katy has LaCenterra but it is only blah to me, does not compare to the two I just mentioned. I really hope that if the new Woodcreek area centers are built they mirror the one in the Woodlands or at least the one in Sugarland. Wonder what the status is on those shopping centers (one is Katy Main St. project and the other is a Woodcreek project) because I heard about this awhile back and see absolutely no progress (well there is a HEB, if you can call that progress)…hmmmm

I would likely build w/Ashton Woods as I’m not a big fan of Lennar and they are the only two builders outside of the custom section (this is one limitation of Woodcreek I do not like). This makes me worry about Woodcreek’s potential. I know the development started years ago but it looks like it stalled; hopefully that is ONLY due to the downturn in the real estate market and things are now on the upswing.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 PM

129 posts, read 461,450 times
The downturn is because it is Woodcreek. Look at Firethorne, Cinco, and Cross Creek. Those are booming.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 AM

What is wrong w/Woodcreek?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 AM

46 posts, read 119,704 times
Woodcreek went wrong when they let KB homes in. I could not overlook that no matter how hard I tried when I looked. These are higher end homes than the other KB Homes, but some are just UGLY, and it is still KB.

They also flopped on the large custom homes. Some sit/sat vacant for a very long time when the builders went broke.

Firethorne on the other hand is just down the street, and I'm not sure what isn't to like.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM

160 posts, read 400,800 times
I have to agree with the post from Float, the developer of Woodcreek has not done justice to the residents of Woodcreek and therefore you never know what they will do next. As I have said in other post you should look at the developer first when you buy into a neighborhood, look at their other communities both past and present, how are they maintained, have the home values held, etc.

Katy Main Street is only an HEB and its vision of a planned development seems to me to have gotten off on the wrong foot. The signage and architecture are nowhere near the quality of a La Centerra and not even close Sugarland Town Center or The Woodlands. The developer of Katy Main Street and Woodcreek (one in the same) do not have the long term vision of any of the above as evidenced by letting KB in Woodcreek.

If it was my money I would drive the extra five minutes down FM 1463 and buy in Cinco or Cross Creek, both will have roadways connecting to FM 1463 late this year.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:41 PM

Wow, interesting. So you are saying that the HEB is the beginning and ending of Katy Main St., that’s it? I was surprised to see that the HEB was not as upscale looking as the one in Seven Meadows. I thought the Main St. project was a joint effort between the City of Katy and the developer.

I had no idea that builders in the custom section went bankrupt. So what are they going to do with the lots in that section? What about the Woodcreek shopping center project, which is separate from the Main St. project?

The KB homes do not bother me at all because they are not standard KB homes. I’ve been inside a few of them and they are nice, plus there’s only a few. I worry more about what Lennar will bring to the neighborhood.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 PM

160 posts, read 400,800 times
I am not saying HEB is the beginning and end of Katy Main Street, I just would think the finishes, signage, landscaping would be much better for a supposed pedestrian oriented suburban town center as the project was touted. It cannot even be compared to the others you like. Just look at what they allowed to be built adjoining the HEB (Strip center)

Is the woodcreek shopping center the vacant property at FM 1463 and I-10? If so I would not expect anything more than a big box retail development that is similar to most suburban freeway developments. HEB was originally planned to be at that location.

I guess I would ask myself why has Woodcreek been around so long in a great location and a great school district. Yes the economy has slowed a lot of things down but not enough to not complete this development since it opened. With all the intangibles it has going for it, that development should be done, even in a bad economic climate.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM

55 posts, read 192,959 times
I opened this thread thinking it was going to be about whiskey. (Woodcreek Reserve not Woodford reserve)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston