Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times

Advertisements

Yep, rows and rows of apartments bring down the neighborhood except maybe in the Texas Medical Center which is occupied mostly by medical students. As for the rest of the town like SW Houston, it's time for the city to raze down the slum apartments. And, Bill White has. Don't you just love this mayor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Yep, rows and rows of apartments bring down the neighborhood except maybe in the Texas Medical Center which is occupied mostly by medical students. As for the rest of the town like SW Houston, it's time for the city to raze down the slum apartments. And, Bill White has. Don't you just love this mayor?
Oh don't pull my cord on this one....

The only apartments I have heard anything about the city closing is the Carter's Grove complex in Garden Oaks. The city also revoked an occupancy permit for one building of a condo complex on Forum Park Drive. I don't think the Mayor has done any razing of slum apartments at all.

In fact, we suffer from the ones on Broadway Boulevard over by me. The worst offender is the Thai Xuan Village condos. Since it is all Vietnamese and basically there is no crime that originates from there, the Mayor basically thumbed his nose at us, despite acknowleding it is way out of compliance with any and every sort of building/fire/safety code possible. He admitted he was deliberatly not enforcing the codes there so he wouldn't have to displace the residents.

When the Mayor concocted his plan to "revitalize" Broadway Boulevard, it amounted to tearing the existing apartment down to the slab, then building new stucco ones on the 35 year old slabs. The same number of units, low income tax credit properties to boot. Yeah, that would really revitalize things. Of course it would be done with our tax dollars. The only ones that would have benefited would be the developers.

So no, I don't love this Mayor. He has failed us miserably in regards to slum apartments.

Houston - News - Thai Xuan Village

This one is a sore subject with me I'm afraid...

Last edited by modster; 07-20-2007 at 10:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 11:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Bill White's too busy using HPD's limited resources to chase around strip club owners and make pot busts in the Montrose to worry about slumlords or the violent crime problems in parts of Houston. There have to be priorities. As soon as this city gets rid of all the strippers and hippie lettuce, we will be able to shop at Sharpstown Mall and leave our car doors unlocked again.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:40 PM
DLC

4 posts, read 20,816 times
Wink Ft. Bend County

The main reason I live in East Ft. Bend County (Missouri City) is due to the lack of apartment complexes(and the good schools). I moved from The Gables apts.(luxury, corporate) in Sugarland 1 yr. ago. These are the only type you'll see in the area, as deed restrictions are heavily enforced if you're surrounded by $200-500k homes. The few scattered complexes around Ft. Bend County are too $$$ for the low income and they don't accept FEMA vouchers.

Another plus is the lack of nightlife in the 'burbs......

Old 08-03-2007, 08:52 PM

30 posts, read 179,530 times
Look in Missouri City. Due to zoning laws there is only one apt complex that i know of in the city and thats at Fondren/Beltway(actually that may be Houston city limits also..) They are building an upscale apt complex in Sienna Plantation which is in the ETJ area of MoCity(not in city limits) and the residents are in an uproar about that. So, its a safe bet that if you move to Missouri City you won't see any apartment complexes anywhere near you now or in the near future. (Lake Olympia, Quail Valley, and Colony Lakes are great neighborhoods)

Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 14,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
About the best bet on that would be either the large master planned communites, where a major swath of land is under the control of one developer and the volume of apartments are limited. Places like Kingwood, Woodlands, Clear Lake City. They will still have them, but it won't be overwhelming.

The other option is well established inner-loop type areas.
I wouldnt count on that in Kingwood, I have been reacering all the complexes in Kingwood and there is a hudge number of apartments in this area. Not only that, but the amount of crime for the population seems to be high. Most buglary, break in, car theft and drugs. good luck with your search

Old 05-19-2009, 06:03 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Katy and Cinco Ranch has been getting a few new ones lately.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Missouri City is the only place in the region with a ratio of apt to houses 10/90, there are only 3 apt complexes in Mo City compared to rest of cities with apts and their population. MO City 70,000.
By the way some people cant help where they stay at, so you be grateful and humble others.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 AM

155 posts, read 542,129 times
Which is worst, living near an apartment complex with a few shady characters that you may or may not even see or know of, or living by bad tenants leasing a house next door to you?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 AM

20 posts, read 56,186 times
As everyone here has eluded to, Houston has apartments everywhere. Or will have. It is not difficult however to tell which ones are the problems. Higher rents usually mean that the tenants have higher paying jobs and higher education. Some apartments do not allow children and some are Seniors only. There are communities in Houston that have had apartments for decades and continue to be safe and desirable.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 05-19-2009 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston