Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,392 times

Advertisements

I am a military veteran and have been out of work for the past 9 months. During this time I have had only 3 interviews and NO offers. I lost my car to reposession last month (August) and was recently evicted from my apt. I filed an appeal with the courts and am awaiting a new date to appear before the judge - at which time I will make my final plea to save my home. I have a 7 yr old daughter who (because I have tried to keep things as NORMAL as possible for her) has NO idea just how destitute we are. Two weeks ago, I contacted the Department of Veteran Affairs Regional Office (Houston, Tx) and spoke with a representative about my situation. I explained how I am a single parent and a military veteran on the verge of homelessness and asked if there was a program in place that I might qualify for. I was informed about a program called the HUD VASH program, which essentially is a rental housing program similar to the Section 8 housing voucher program run by the City of Houston - however, these vouchers are issued directly from the Department of Veteran Affairs and only given to military veterans. The voucher does not include deposits or application fees - it only covers a certain percentage of the monthly lease amount. The veteran pays a portion of the lease (based on his/her income) and the voucher covers the balance. My task at this point is to find a property that is willing to accept the voucher, and an owner that is willing to work out some arrangements with me on the deposit. I am still unemployed at the moment and my only source of income is the court ordered child support I receive - $625/month. Currently, I live in the 290/Cypress area and it is my desire to stay in this area because I do not have a car and would like to keep my daughter in the same school. If there are any property owners reading this and are willing to lease to me or know of ANYONE in a position to help me, please contact me via post.

Blessings
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 AM

140 posts, read 612,665 times
I am not too familiar with any forum other than unemployment here on City Data- but I'm sure your post would do better in a different section.

In the meantime, I totally feel for you and know your frustration. My husband and I are waiting for HUD VASH as well (California) and it's been a while (almost 6 months). The thing that struck me about your post is that I am pretty sure you receive counseling services when you sign up for HV, and your counselor is supposed to help you. Can you look into that? We have been house hunting also, and have so far not found one landlord who accepts HV. What's a person supposed to do?

I wish I could help you more, but I know nothing about Texas. Hang in there.... Best of luck to you and your daughter and thank you for serving our country! <3

Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
This thread is being moved to the Houston forum where it belongs.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,217,687 times
I am sure that anyone that takes section 8 would take this voucher. I have no idea how long it takes to go into effect (how long the line is to receive it).

What is it that you do when you have a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: