Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 PM

155 posts, read 542,541 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying a bird feeder to put in my backyard. I live in Katy. Will it see any action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 PM

460 posts, read 2,428,266 times
You're thinking that maybe there are no birds in Katy?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:01 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
Yes, it will - probably too much. Include a hummingbird feeder.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:12 PM

54 posts, read 99,496 times
Bird feeders provide great entertainment when you start having birds use it! Depending on your location and surrounding area will determine how quickly or how long it takes for birds to find your feeder. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while because the birds will eventually discover it. Then they will tell their friends! If it takes a while for the birds to find it, then you need to make sure you change out the food once a week or more often if it is raining. It will go rancid very quickly and make birds sick. Once you have birds coming then they will eat it very quickly and you shouldn't have to clean it out very often. Also make sure your feeder has good drainage holes. Some of the cedar ones have no holes and the feed stays too wet and doesn't dry out before it clumps and goes bad. Drill small holes in those type of feeders. Hope this info helps. Have fun bird watching!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 PM

155 posts, read 542,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
You're thinking that maybe there are no birds in Katy?
Thats a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLoriginal'71 View Post
Hope this info helps. Have fun bird watching!
Thanx SLoriginal'71!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:59 PM

657 posts, read 2,546,344 times
It will see a lot of action. The squirrels love it too. I had to stop with mine because my cats saw it as a bird trap.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 PM

293 posts, read 1,036,262 times
Yes, bird feeders are great and hummingbird feeders also, as Cheryjohns said. Also, a birdbath and good bushes and trees for the birds.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:10 PM

460 posts, read 2,428,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
...The squirrels love it too...
I bought my parents a Yankee bird feeder (link below) some years ago to eliminate their squirrel problem. It's hugely entertaining to watch the squirrels being spun off the ring. Highly recommended.

Droll Yankees

Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,923 times
You might contact the local Audubon Society for their recommendations on bird feeders for this area. Not all birds are seed eaters and those that are frequently prefer only a few types of seed. Often, seed mixtures packaged in other parts of the country have little appeal for birds of the Texas Gulf Coast region.

One sad aspect of having bird feeders is that people find them very entertaining "toys" at first, until the newness wears off. Then they forget to fill them, or they find the seeds too expensive to buy regularly, or they're out of town a great deal, and so on. Birds that have learned to depend on our feeders as a primary food source can have a hard time surviving if that food is no longer available, especially in winter.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:28 PM

54 posts, read 99,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
One sad aspect of having bird feeders is that people find them very entertaining "toys" at first, until the newness wears off. Then they forget to fill them, or they find the seeds too expensive to buy regularly, or they're out of town a great deal, and so on. Birds that have learned to depend on our feeders as a primary food source can have a hard time surviving if that food is no longer available, especially in winter.
Yes, you are very correct in what you said. Bird food can be very expensive if you aren't aware of your options. I buy a 20 lb bag of a nice "mix" of birdseed that has peanuts, black sunflower seeds, cherries and many types of seeds....for roughly 12.00. I also buy a 50 lb bag of chopped corn for 8.00. I mix it about 40% of the "mix" birdfood with 60% of the chopped corn. This has been a good blend for me and has also made it much more affordable. You can also buy 50lb bags of henscratch for around 8.00 and mix with chopped corn. I get it all at the feedstore. I think that petsmart is overpriced. Lowes actually has some reasonable deals on bird food. Definitely buy in bulk!Once you have birds coming you will quickly go through food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: