Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM

834 posts, read 2,683,751 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving to a new home right next to a bayou. I'm curious to know if Harris Co is responsible for cutting the grass behind property fence and the bayou (concrete) or is it the resident? If it is the county, can you tell me the frequency? I will appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:08 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
I live a few feet from Brays Bayou. Once a month Harris Co comes and cuts the grass. But Brays bayou is a bounded by city parks thus they are maintained by the city. I am not sure if all of them are that way

Old 08-17-2010, 11:08 AM

739 posts, read 2,135,391 times
A lake/bayou is in my backyard. The HOA cuts the grass behind my property line. I live in Fort Bend. Pretty freq. Weekly.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdouglas View Post
A lake/bayou is in my backyard. The HOA cuts the grass behind my property line. I live in Fort Bend. Pretty freq. Weekly.
Although Houston is my hometown I was pretty impressed by it coming back after a 4 year hiatus. People in my area are really serious about their grass. Some even have a hank Hill obsession. It was just a refreshing change coming from SA where I saw nice houses with no grass, or cheap grass or chest high weeds.

My dogs love running down to the bayou, and I don't have to worry about them getting dirty, like I did when I was in SA

Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,916 times
My House Backs up to Willow Water Hole that flows off Brase bayou it goes through Willow Meadows Willowbend & Westbury they cut the grass along the bayou 2 times a yr

Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
I live on Buffalo Bayou. If it's parkland, like Terry Hershey, the city cuts the grass outside your fence. If it's the dense bamble/jungle inside the beltway, no one cleans it up unless major storms have come through. they cut about every two weeks, unless you are in a wildflower area.

Of course, if you don't like how they are manicuring the land outside your fence, you can cut it yourself. Also, you can "use" footage outside your property line into the park for a fee.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM

834 posts, read 2,683,751 times
I called Bellaire, then sent me to Houston and they sent me to Harris Co. Now I'm working my way back to Houston and back to Bellaire. It looks like no one wants to take responsibility. It's a ditch area that lands on Braes Bayou but it's not the bayou itself. It is also the dividing line between Houston and Bellaire. So I'm expecting a call from them tomorrow. Otherwise I may just have the lawn guy make a gate to access the area. I would like to keep that grass short if possible, without breaking any rules of course.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default Diy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
I called Bellaire, then sent me to Houston and they sent me to Harris Co. Now I'm working my way back to Houston and back to Bellaire. It looks like no one wants to take responsibility. It's a ditch area that lands on Braes Bayou but it's not the bayou itself. It is also the dividing line between Houston and Bellaire. So I'm expecting a call from them tomorrow. Otherwise I may just have the lawn guy make a gate to access the area. I would like to keep that grass short if possible, without breaking any rules of course.
Since no one wants to do it, maybe you should mow it just once, then immediately follow up with a strong batch of roundup to kill everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston