Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:19 AM

322 posts, read 709,946 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Houston and my husband holds a UK driver's license.

I've checked the Texas DMV site and they only discussed 'out of state' license holders (relinquish for a Texas one after some eye tests but no driving exam.)

Has anyone here had the experience of getting a Texas driving license after moving from another country?

What process is followed?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
Can't you get an international drivers license before you move? I got mine before leaving my country, theyre usually available from national car ethusiast clubs. it cost me about 2USD ... to be able to drive anywhere like James Bond.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Well, the international driver's license is not a permanent thing. We are moving to live in Houston, permanently, and to settle there. He'd have to get that each year back in the UK, and we are moving permanently to Texas, so just as I have to give up my Nevada license, he needs a US-based driving license. Just wondering if he has to take a new driver's test, as I had to in the UK (since I wasn't from elsewhere in the UK.)

Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipresa View Post

I've checked the Texas DMV site and they only discussed 'out of state' license holders (relinquish for a Texas one after some eye tests but no driving exam.)

Has anyone here had the experience of getting a Texas driving license after moving from another country?

Thanks!!!
Good luck!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:22 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
Quote:
Well, the international driver's license is not a permanent thing. We are moving to live in Houston, permanently, and to settle there. He'd have to get that each year back in the UK, and we are moving permanently to Texas, so just as I have to give up my Nevada license, he needs a US-based driving license. Just wondering if he has to take a new driver's test, as I had to in the UK (since I wasn't from elsewhere in the UK.)
corrrect. mine was 90days max. but since its as good as any US state drivers lisence (the ID says so) I just surrended it for a NY drivers lisence before it expired. Having it before converting to a US one would make it more hassle-free. I do not have experience with TX or post-911 or when looking like a terrorist tho

Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
Do not let him give anyone his UK license, I still have mine he will have to take a driving test here but it is easy.
I came from UK went to Florida got mine there but have now changed it for a Texas one. I took a theory test which was common sense then a test which lasted 5 minutes in a car park !! but as I said that was in Florida.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks! It then does appear he'll need to take the written and practical again. I'm trying to assure him that it is not nearly as difficult in the UK!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:03 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I did the same: had ( actually I still have) International DL, and took only eye test. No written test or driving/parking was required. Keep your International DL, you might need it when you travel overseas.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:15 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
Quote:

Thanks!!!
Oh, too bad he's from the UK. If he were from Mexico, he could just drive without one. He wouldn't need insurance either.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:51 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston