Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,725,197 times

Advertisements

^^ Flood insurance isn't required in the vast majority of those neighborhoods, only small parts of Bay Glen and maybe Northfork. There are a few swaths of homes that are cheaper than the rest of the neighborhood for that reason. For the rest, flood insurance is optional and runs the usual $300-400/yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 AM

225 posts, read 597,960 times
I agree with what others have said. Clear Lake, League City, and Friendswood are good options.

I live in the eastern part of Friendswood and haven't had any flooding.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:23 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,091,989 times
Most of Clear Lake is in the flood evacuation zone for hurricanes above Cat 3. Consult a flood map, as areas around Kemah, Seabrook, Nassau Bay, South Shore, or El Lago will all experience some flooding with a storm surge. Many areas of Friendswood also have experienced creek and bayou flooding.

Depending on your income, a good option may be to consider living in town, as the reverse commute to Clear Lake is much much better than the trip into downtown at rush hour. Meyerland, Bellaire, West University areas all have newer and older spacious homes with property, but the cost compared to the Clear Lake area is about 50% more (or greater). That said, you are closer to the amenities that Houston has to offer, and home values inside the loop have been stable or rising. Schools could be an issue, but there are some public schools in Bellaire and West University (and adjacent neighborhoods of Houston) that include the children of many professionals. Also, there is a much greater variety of private school options.

If you can afford it, I recommend inside the loop. If you desire a lot of property, or a home near the water, then look south.

If you are going to rent, try both places and then decide what is best.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,725,197 times
Bellaire and West U lost value in housing last year, while Friendswood & Clear Lake saw some of the largest percentage gains according to this:

Housing price trends according to ZIP code | NewsWatch: Breaking news | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

(From a thread I started awhile back, debunking 1 of the 999 suburban myths spread in here.)

Also the commute from Clear Lake to Bellaire in the afternoon is a little easier but isn't going to be a cakewalk. I did the reverse for over 1 year and there are still jams at the usual spots-- The goofy left exit on I-45 @ 610, the south loop @ 288 and the west loop as you approach Bellaire and Uptown. Morning should be smooth sailing though.

From downtown to the house in the peak of afternoon traffic takes me about 40 minutes door to door. Just under 35 in the morning.

And I'd say that side of town is at least 200% (triple) more expensive than here if you're gonna buy, but +50% sounds about right for 1 or 2 bdrm apartment rents.

Children of professional worker-grade (engineer) and professor types live here. Children of surgeons, physicians and executives live over there.

Amenities of central Houston are 20-30 minutes away from me outside of the rush hours + the waterfront is 15-20 minutes. If you position yourself close to Ellington Field close to I-45, can read traffic maps, and can tolerate a quick shot into town you'll have all of central Houston plus Clear Lake/Kemah. If you position yourself just south of the Kemah Boardwalk you're asking for hellacious drives all the time. Location Location Location!

Otherwise this self-contained area has been established over the past 45 years with almost zero blight, and has enough amenities of its own to keep all kinds of people busy. Even one zip code (77058) almost mirrors Montrose (77006) in age distribution, on a slightly poorer yuppie scale ($60k vs $80k avg income), and a much smaller pretentious d-bag scale as well.

I'll step off the soapbox now.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,840,342 times
Price range, whether or not you have kids and want good public schools, do you like newer pristine suburban areas or older city neighborhoods? All of these things would impact recommendations. Places like Idylwood & University Oaks could be options as well. They are off the Gulf Freeway but inside the loop. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,590,970 times
Check out Garden Villas or Glenn Brooke Valley 1 mile from Hobby airport your 10 to 15 min to Clear Lake & 20 min to downtown. You can get a nice home for $200k to $350k on a decent size lot in this area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston