Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 6,745 times

Advertisements

hi all, I just moved to houston, and have a job near the galleria. I am looking to rent a condo with a garage, and I was pointed to har.com by a few friends.

I found a condo, but have no idea of the location. The address is 9200 Westheimer Rd, 77063. I know its close to my workplace, but from the time that I've been in Houston (about 2 weeks), it seems like its very hard to predict how safe/nice certain areas of town are. Its like I am driving through one nice area, take a small turn and BAM- in a totally shady neighborhood! I looked at the Houston Police heat maps, but it wasn't very useful (probably because I don't know how to decipher them).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,332,013 times
Welcome to Houston! What you described is what's known as "no zoning laws". Your best bet is to get an agent to specializes in rentals to help you out. Otherwise, it's going to be a lot of finding places on HAR, then driving out to realize your neighbor is a truck repair depot, and repeating over and over again til you find something you like.

Good luck though -- the Galleria area is a fun place and I'm sure you'll like it down there.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,524,426 times
Get something on Bering or Augusta.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,814,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher86 View Post
hi all, I just moved to houston, and have a job near the galleria. I am looking to rent a condo with a garage, and I was pointed to har.com by a few friends.

I found a condo, but have no idea of the location. The address is 9200 Westheimer Rd, 77063. I know its close to my workplace, but from the time that I've been in Houston (about 2 weeks), it seems like its very hard to predict how safe/nice certain areas of town are. Its like I am driving through one nice area, take a small turn and BAM- in a totally shady neighborhood! I looked at the Houston Police heat maps, but it wasn't very useful (probably because I don't know how to decipher them).

Good luck in Houston!

Old 07-05-2010, 01:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,783,604 times
Now is the absolute worst time to buy a condo. I've seen 'good' condo complexes fall apart in 6 months time in this recession.

All it takes is 16% of HOA members not being able to pay their fees and no bank will grant a mortgage for any condo in the complex.

If that happens its just a matter of time until the complex self-destructs.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:53 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,219,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Now is the absolute worst time to buy a condo. I've seen 'good' condo complexes fall apart in 6 months time in this recession.

All it takes is 16% of HOA members not being able to pay their fees and no bank will grant a mortgage for any condo in the complex.

If that happens its just a matter of time until the complex self-destructs.
That's true and they are having a severe problem in Florida. The Galleria locations in Houston are just fine and no doubt remain so. Condos and townhomes are the first to feel the downside of a market and the last to feel the upside - so a house is always a better investment.
The OP is just looking to rent one - the location is Piney Point and it is fine. It is gated and I have never seen the gates in inoperative condition. I have sold two in there - and still talk to both clients all of the time. They still like it very much. The pool and gym are great. Personally, I don't like them, but it's because even the smallest units have two full flight of stairs. If that doesn't bother you, they are great.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 6,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
That's true and they are having a severe problem in Florida. The Galleria locations in Houston are just fine and no doubt remain so. Condos and townhomes are the first to feel the downside of a market and the last to feel the upside - so a house is always a better investment.
The OP is just looking to rent one - the location is Piney Point and it is fine. It is gated and I have never seen the gates in inoperative condition. I have sold two in there - and still talk to both clients all of the time. They still like it very much. The pool and gym are great. Personally, I don't like them, but it's because even the smallest units have two full flight of stairs. If that doesn't bother you, they are great.
Thanks a lot for the response, cheryjohns! Yes, I am looking to rent and I don't mind the stairs. I just want to make sure the area is safe. I am willing to compromise a bit on the condition of the townhome if it is in a safe location. Westheimer is a long road, and I heard from a few coworkers that some parts of Westheimer are shady and I should stay away from there.

I am looking at townhomes because they are comparatively new, and cheaper to rent than an equally sized house with an attached garage. When I decide to buy, I would probably lean towards a house.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,219,964 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the response, cheryjohns! Yes, I am looking to rent and I don't mind the stairs. I just want to make sure the area is safe. I am willing to compromise a bit on the condition of the townhome if it is in a safe location. Westheimer is a long road, and I heard from a few coworkers that some parts of Westheimer are shady and I should stay away from there.

I am looking at townhomes because they are comparatively new, and cheaper to rent than an equally sized house with an attached garage. When I decide to buy, I would probably lean towards a house.
Those townhomes should be in great condition - they aren't very old. Granite counters were standard. The people that liver there are young professionals. You are right - to rent a house in tha vicinity would be a whole lot more!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,234 times
Default New comer to your neighborhood

Noticed your post was in 2010. I am moving to where you are on 9200 Westheimer summer 2012. Looks like it's a safe community all on its own with almost 200 units and separate little street names.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 AM

391 posts, read 923,786 times
Quote:

From other posts, yes, Houston does not have zoning laws here and the good and bad areas you are describing in close proximity is a result of this. The GOOD news regarding this is that when good areas start to invade bad areas, you can almost bet your life that in a short time all the bad will be flushed away. A good example is Midtown Houston. Midtown used to be a very shady place 20 years ago and now it is a very nice place to live. Once an area turns nice and the rents go up, the bad doesn't come back. Just a little history for you there.

I would definitely consult with a realtor or apartment locator to find a nice place to rent. Some locator services work at no charge to you. A realtor will know exactly which areas are becoming hot areas to live in and which areas you should avoid. May take a little time on your part up front, but will definitely be worth it in the long run.

In any event, I hope you are enjoying all Houston has to offer and welcome to Houston!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston