Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:35 AM

13 posts, read 41,812 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just recently purchased a home in League City and about a month after moving in I receive a letter from TWIA saying that there are repairs needed to the roof or they may "possibly" cancel my policy. I have until 8/25 to do the needed repairs and must send in a certified letter stating that the repairs have been done along with pictures.

I have a HUGE problem with this. I had a thorough home inspection prior to closing and there was no problems with the roof.

If TWIA has an issue, isn't this something that should be determined before I close on the house?

Also, why is it my responsibility to take the pictures? Why can't they send out one of their inspectors to do it? My roof is very steep, are they going to pay my medical bills when I fall off the roof trying to take pictures?

I'm very inclined to tell them no on the repairs. Can they just cancel my policy? I seriously doubt USAA (homeowner's) will just let them cancel my wind/hail policy.

I plan to talk with TWIA, I just was hoping to get some input to make sure I am not totally off base here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,198 times
This sounds like getting a fix-it traffic ticket. Take it to any shop, pay $5 to have it 'inspected' and certified to be in working order (output is a receipt for your $5) and get the courts to dismiss the ticket. is this that simple?

Old 07-03-2010, 01:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Don't let anyone bully you. Tell them a simple but firm FU then hang up. Let them cancel it. There is an insurance company on every corner, maybe even more insurance offices then pizza parlors and nail salons. They all suck too - but would be happy to write you a new policy.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:11 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Don't let anyone bully you. Tell them a simple but firm FU then hang up. Let them cancel it. There is an insurance company on every corner, maybe even more insurance offices then pizza parlors and nail salons. They all suck too - but would be happy to write you a new policy.
Not a good thing to do. TWIA and only TWIA underwrites wind coverage in the coastal counties.

These requests are probably because the previous owners filed a claim and repairs weren't done or they weren't reported to be completed.

The sellers disclosure from the home you purchased has a section to report insurance claims. What did it say?

Old 07-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Unfortunately, this was an estate sale so no seller's disclosure.

TWIA sent a guy out after I moved in who went up on the roof and took pictures and I got the letter about 2-3 weeks later.

I have no problems with them inspecting the roof, but isn't this something that should be done before I close? What if they determined that my whole roof needed to be replaced? That seems like important information to know about BEFORE I close.

This seems to be the equivalent of doing a home inspection after I close and then trying to get the original seller to make repairs.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:28 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Do you have to go through TWIA for wind coverage in all of League City or just certain parts?

Old 07-03-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Do you have to go through TWIA for wind coverage in all of League City or just certain parts?
I'm pretty sure in Galveston County, all wind/hail coverage is through TWIA. I think all of League City is Galveston.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
Not a good thing to do. TWIA and only TWIA underwrites wind coverage in the coastal counties.

These requests are probably because the previous owners filed a claim and repairs weren't done or they weren't reported to be completed.

The sellers disclosure from the home you purchased has a section to report insurance claims. What did it say?
Yes it is very possible that this is the case.

dudemize,

If you used a RE Agent, or other professional representation, did they not inform you of having a CLUE report run for the property? The CLUE report is a database of previous claims and actions against the insurance. The details can be found here CLUE and You: How Insurers Size You Up | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. A CLUE report would have shown if there were any claims, or even reports of damage, reported to the insurance company.

In your post you stated that you had a thorough Home Inspection performed before the sale. You also mentioned that the TWIA sent out an Adjuster/Inspector that did walk the roof, took pictures, and generated a report. Were these conditions reported in the Home Inspector's report?

Unfortunately finding these issues are the purpose for the purchase option period and are due diligence actions. You can always look into whether your Inspector or Agent were negligent and chase after them for repairs. However, unless the amount is significant it is generally not worth the time spent and aggravation received.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Yes it is very possible that this is the case.

dudemize,

If you used a RE Agent, or other professional representation, did they not inform you of having a CLUE report run for the property? The CLUE report is a database of previous claims and actions against the insurance. The details can be found here CLUE and You: How Insurers Size You Up | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. A CLUE report would have shown if there were any claims, or even reports of damage, reported to the insurance company.

In your post you stated that you had a thorough Home Inspection performed before the sale. You also mentioned that the TWIA sent out an Adjuster/Inspector that did walk the roof, took pictures, and generated a report. Were these conditions reported in the Home Inspector's report?

Unfortunately finding these issues are the purpose for the purchase option period and are due diligence actions. You can always look into whether your Inspector or Agent were negligent and chase after them for repairs. However, unless the amount is significant it is generally not worth the time spent and aggravation received.
My RE Agent never said anything about a CLUE report. I don't think there were any claims as the home inspector found the roof to be in good condition and indicated that in the home inspection report.

I agree with you about doing the repairs. It will likely be much less stressful then trying to fight it. I do have to wonder though, if I refused to do the repairs, could they really cancel my wind/hail policy after the fact? I'm sure USAA would have something to say about that, seeing as how they would have more liability than I would if the house blew down.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemize View Post
My RE Agent never said anything about a CLUE report. I don't think there were any claims as the home inspector found the roof to be in good condition and indicated that in the home inspection report.

I agree with you about doing the repairs. It will likely be much less stressful then trying to fight it. I do have to wonder though, if I refused to do the repairs, could they really cancel my wind/hail policy after the fact? I'm sure USAA would have something to say about that, seeing as how they would have more liability than I would if the house blew down.
Unfortunately under the conditions you described there is nothing stopping them from canceling your policy. About the only thing that can stop that is if the issues they found were not true or accurate. But the insurance company is not going to take a chance of creating a bogus official report just to dump one client. If they did they can easily fall within the wrath of the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI). TDI does not write the laws, they only enforce them. One of the things I like about TDI is they are not a typical government agency. If you feel you are getting the long and skinny from an insurance company, and have the proof of it, they will come down on the insurance company like a ton of bricks!

If you want to learn more, the TDI WEB site has a lot of good and helpful information. You can find it at Texas Department of Insurance Consumer Help, Industry News from the Texas Department of Insurance. TDI regulates Agents, insurance companies and underwriters. I've dealt with TDI before and found them to be very helpful and concerned about consumer rights and protection.

Good luck and keep us informed so others know how to handle future issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston