Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what most of you think...do you prefer a house with a basement or a house on a concrete slab? Can't decide if basements are a good thing, or if they are a lot of extra work to keep up. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
I was born and raised on the West Coast, without basements.

When I first moved to the Midwest, I have to admit, they scared me. I still rate all basements on my personal "Silence of the Lambs" creepiness scale.

Now that I have lived with a basement for ~10 years, I am a fan. What I do not like (and I think I am in the minority ) are finished basements.

I want a basement to be dry, functional, and utilitarian. It can house a workshop, a workout room, a laundry and perhaps a wine/root cellar.

I want to be able to see and easily access all "sytems" in the house (plumbing , electric, ductwork etc). So "dropped ceilings" and drywall are out out out for me.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
A basement really depends on location. Dry is always better. A basement allows you to maybe double your usable floor space for little added cost, compared to adding a second floor.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Grew up in a house with a basement (near Los Angeles!). Creepy. Still remember the possum I disturbed unexpectedly.
Bought a house with a crawlspace. Not as creepy.
Bought a cabin with a half basement built into the mountain. Really creepy.

Bought a house on a cement slab. Best. House doesn't creak as much during earthquakes

Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I'd kill for a basement.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I like having a basement to store wine, and for better access to the underside of the house. I don't much like a dirt crawlspace, sooner or later you have to get under there to work on something...

I agree that a finished basement is not such a great idea. Most basements have at least a possibility of water intrusion to some extent, I think the dumbest thing I have seen is carpet on a cement floor in a basement. Just dying to get wet.

Grew up in a house with a (half) basement, it's a good place for washer/dryer/freezers, and for storage.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:41 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Where I live ( Minnesota) basements are quite popular.

Having a basement laundry is a drawback when selling a house.
Most people prefer a main floor laundry room for obvious reasons.

To me, having the laundry room in the basement is as stupid as having it in the 2nd story of a 2 story house.

Yes, we have the laundry in the basement and when we re-locate, I will be sure our next house has a main floor laundry.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:51 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Having a basement laundry is a drawback when selling a house.
Most people prefer a main floor laundry room for obvious reasons.

To me, having the laundry room in the basement is as stupid as having it in the 2nd story of a 2 story house.

Yes, we have the laundry in the basement and when we re-locate, I will be sure our next house has a main floor laundry.
You just made my day!

While I don't mind my basement laundry, one of the things we are adding during our mudroom/kitchen reno is an option for a ground floor laundry.

I'll use the space for storage, but it will be wired and plumbed for a stackable HE washer and dryer.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I grew up in a home with a crawl space under the house, all my homes since have had crawl spaces. My current home is on a slab. A basement or crawl space is better in the long run as if you want to add a outlet or cable you can run them under the house. Much more work running wire from the attic.

All my wash rooms have been in the garage. Much quieter.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Around here you pretty much will never sell a house without a basement. Finished basements are the norm here and the vast majority of people have never had an issue with their basement being wet. There are steps to take if you live in an area where that is a possibility but only water we have ever had in our basements is from the kids spilling a glass of water on the carpet.

We have full sized windows in our basement, 9 foot ceilings, fully finished. It is a great place for the kids to have friends over and in the summer it is nice and cool down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House