Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,447 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm v new to this site. This is actually my first post, I've been reading different posts on the subject and am still not sure what to do so hopefully someone can help.

I'm about to buy my first house and I found a house that is an amazing deal but there's one catch and I don't know if its serious enough to not buy the house. there is a horizontal crack starting at the corner of a wall and going out about a foot. Also on the same wall the floor is sagging away from the wall. Our Realtor things this is a major repair and we should stay away but if its not then this house is a steal and I'm just looking for some more information I hope someone on here can help. and thanks for reading.

well I was going to upload some pictures of the wall and floor but it wont except any of my files as attachments so idk how to get these on here

Last edited by hart.thomas; 01-24-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,171,582 times
If you think "it's" the house- put in your offer. But make the offer contingent on an inspection from a licensed structural engineer (PE). From there you can make your decision based on the information from the engineer.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:02 AM

10,053 posts, read 18,110,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart.thomas View Post
Hello, I'm v new to this site. This is actually my first post, I've been reading different posts on the subject and am still not sure what to do so hopefully someone can help.

I'm about to buy my first house and I found a house that is an amazing deal but there's one catch and I don't know if its serious enough to not buy the house. there is a horizontal crack starting at the corner of a wall and going out about a foot. Also on the same wall the floor is sagging away from the wall. Our Realtor things this is a major repair and we should stay away but if its not then this house is a steal and I'm just looking for some more information I hope someone on here can help. and thanks for reading.

well I was going to upload some pictures of the wall and floor but it wont except any of my files as attachments so idk how to get these on here
You can add pictures by creating an album under your profile and uploading the pictures to it, then just copy & paste whichever picture(s) you want in your post.

About the house: I would stay away. Sounds like the structural issue might be WHY the house is a steal? What does the disclosure document say?

Old 01-25-2014, 10:27 AM

8,577 posts, read 12,443,174 times
It sounds like a serious problem but it's hard to say without seeing what you have described. Since your agent thinks it's a major issue it's probably best to heed their advice. If you wish to pursue it further, however, you should pay for a qualified inspector to look it over--and you might even want to get a couple of bids from contractors as to how much it would cost to repair it, if it can be repaired. If you decide to make an offer, it should be contingent on favorable inspections...or, better yet, contingent on the owners making the necessary repairs.

Sometimes, however, simply making a repair is insufficient depending on the underlying problem. You could still have a house with a problem which makes it hard to sell. If that's the case, a low price is not necessarily a "steal".

If it were me, I'd probably just pass.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:21 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,598,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart.thomas View Post

Hire engineering... Go your county building codes department , they can give you a list of names...

Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,910,532 times
It is probably a major repair. This may be "the house" if you can pay for it with cash, but with a bad foundation it probably won't pass inspection for a mortgage.

Foundation problems almost always get worse over time. It will seem like it's staying the same for a while, then you'll have a lot of rain and none of your doors will operate properly, or cracks will appear in the walls overnight, or your pipes will break. And even after you have it fixed, it can settle more, or another part of the house can start to settle and need repairs...it's not just a once and done kind of thing.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,138 times
Angry Please reply.

Can we install steel posts or cement block supports?

Old 07-09-2014, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,138 times
I was asking for help, not replying. I'm sorry. I'm new.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 PM

19,847 posts, read 22,747,670 times
Cracks in the floor don't bother me too much, but if the floor is falling in, then I would have a problem with that.

I would not seriously consider the home unless a professional inspected AND provides an estimate of what it would take to fix it.

I don't know where you are, but in some areas of the west shifting soils are a really big concern. It's best to run away if you see that condition in parts of the Rocky Mountain west.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:31 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,171,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little fellow View Post
Can we install steel posts or cement block supports?
Quote:
Originally Posted by little fellow View Post
I was asking for help, not replying. I'm sorry. I'm new.

What?
Where?
Why?

Seriously, what the Hell are we talkin' about here?!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House