Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 06:28 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,618 times

Advertisements

I have a home that is made out of cinderblock. I'm considering getting Dryvit or some other EIFS equivalent. What is the verdict on it?

I did some research on it and most of the info is old, circa 1990s. They stated how the older product caused rot on houses with made with wood, and then they came out with a product that addressed that. In the end they said that it's really not meant for wood.

My question is - even though it's supposedly safe on block, has there been any long term detrimental effects? Has the newer product performed better?

Opinions and Experiences are welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
I chose Hardiplank over my cinderblock. Of course, given the region, I had P2000 installed between the Hardiplank and cinderblock for insulation.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,847 times
It can be a great siding if installed correctly. It got a bad reputation in the late 1980's- early 1990's due to many installations that were done wrong, which lead to water leaking into and rotting in wood structures. A lot of damage (and mold to boot).

Its very common on commercial buildings like shopping centers. It seems to have found its market in the commercial market more then the residential one. I think you would have no problem with it on cinder block since most of those shopping centers are built of cinder block, or more correctly, concrete block (it would have to be a really old house to be built of blocks made of actual cinders). It would be much better looking then the plain cinder block.

My dad was on the school board in the early 1990's and they had it installed over concrete block on a school building. Its still in place and it looks like its fine. Don't know what brand though. You might have to find a commercial siding company, since most residential siding firms don't want to touch the stuff (and don't have the know how to install it anyway).

good luck!

Old 04-13-2010, 05:04 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,294,975 times
The problem with EIFS was mostly from flawed installation (on wood frame buildings).
Like richb said, it has been used on commercial buildings (and in Europe) for decades without problems. An application on a concrete block building will probably have none of the problems that wood frame buildings had.

Still has to be applied properly, no matter what the core is.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:07 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I have a home that is made out of cinderblock. I'm considering getting Dryvit or some other EIFS equivalent. What is the verdict on it?

I did some research on it and most of the info is old, circa 1990s. They stated how the older product caused rot on houses with made with wood, and then they came out with a product that addressed that. In the end they said that it's really not meant for wood.

My question is - even though it's supposedly safe on block, has there been any long term detrimental effects? Has the newer product performed better?

Opinions and Experiences are welcome.

Thanks!
Actually, it is not a newer product, it is an improved assembly. The early generation of EIFS (dryvit) were barrier systems totally reliant on the exterior skin to resist water penitration; flaws or cracks in the EIFS finish typically resulted in water leakage into the building.

The most recent generation of EIFS are drainage systems that incorporate a water resistant barrier at the sheathing as well as drainage mechanisms to protect the interior of the building and direct water, that enters the system, back to the exterior.

Changes to the EIFS assembly were prompted by damage claims for residential units (typically wood framed structures) which resulted in more stringent code requirements.

CMU substrats are more resistant to water intrusion, however, damage to framing accessories and interior finishes are still suseptible to damage caused by water that enters the building.

With proper detailing and installation, EIFS should provide a suitable exterior finish to your home.

Before making a final decision, you should check with your insurance carrier to make sure they cover homes protected by this material.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,735 times
I too wanted to get some feedback on Dryvit. Also just read that BASF has their own versions of regular stucco and EIFS:

BASF Wall Systems EIFS

Also found a synopsis of a report from Oak Ridge National Laboratory that stated EIFS with an R value of 12.9 was higher than brick, glass, stucco, concrete, wood and masonry.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
The only advantage of EIFS (Exterior Insulation Finishing System) compared to other claddings is the added insulation.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The only advantage of EIFS (Exterior Insulation Finishing System) compared to other claddings is the added insulation.
I've heard that but also:

- finishes other than stucco look available
- less expensive than stucco
- liquid-applied barrier blocks moisture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House