Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,231 times

Advertisements

We're planning to replace our 15 year old HVAC system and I'd like to know what I should know. I know that we should choose a good, reliable brand and a good, reliable, reputable company, and that the system should be rated or suited according to the size and layout of our house. I also know we may be able to get some tax credits for certain kinds of units. Right now we have a combination A/C and heat pump. What I *don't* know is what I don't know: what else should we be considering or looking out for during this process?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Ensure the company that sizes the unit performs a Manual J calculation.
Consider lifestyle and comfort when deciding where the outside unit will be placed, perhaps even relocating it to a different place around your house. For example, is it in the backyard near where you would be relaxing and thus be a noisy nuisance? Is it in an unsightly place? Is there a better place to put it around your house so you don't have to hear it and it isn't bugging people near a window if they're sleeping or something?
Is there an opportunity to reposition the filter location so changing a filter is easier?
Do you suspect any leaks in the ducting? Will the installers check the ducting and perform a smoke test if necessary?
Have some rooms been colder or hotter, (unbalanced)? Can this be adjusted with the new installation?
Is the location of the thermostats optimum?
Is there a way to control an upstairs unit from the downstairs? (We have two units, one for up, one for down; I'm lazy, and there are times when I would like to operate the upstairs control box from downstairs. Is this possible? Something to ask.)
Is either gas or electricity significantly cheaper than the other? Should this be a consideration when deciding what energy source to use, should you have a choice?
Are these units covered by a home warranty? If not, should they be (added)?
Is your home layout and/or lifestyle such that adding a room unit (not an ugly window unit) or something like that would be a good idea if there are times when heating or cooling one room is all that is needed? Meaning, are there times when it would be wasteful to heat or cool an entire house and having a room unit would be worth the cost? Something to think about.

Investigate whether it would be a good idea to incorporate wireless and/or internet access technology to your unit. Are there times it would be useful to remote control your unit using the internet? From your office or something? I am almost positive this technology and these applications exist and are gaining popularity.

Internet Controlled Thermostats - Programmable Thermostats

Old 04-03-2010, 08:41 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
I also know we may be able to get some tax credits for certain kinds of units.
Not just tax credits - check for rebates from the manufacturer of the unit you choose, plus rebates from your utility companies (electric and gas), plus rebates from your state.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks. I'm surfing the web for research now. Does anyone have a recommendation for a company to use in Loudoun County?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
My advice is to put energy efficiency at the top of the list... it should be a major factor on something you will be using for many years.

I'm not an HVAC contractor... although I have installed a few and I am responsible for Hospital HVAC systems.

I have nothing bad to say about Tempstar Units from personal experience. I like the design where the units I bought could be configured many different ways... attic, basement and up-flow and down-flow.

I really like having a muti-stage burners on the heat side and variable speed blower... 90% of the time, the AC/Furnace isn't even noticeable... the blower runs much slower when it is maintaining temp... so none of the whirlwinds my neighbors have to live with.

I've gone against Manual J calcs by downsizing and have had zero complaints... Several HVAC contractors had told me it was a big mistake and now, they use one of my installs as an example when selling in that area.

Older home, very well insulated, new double pane windows, shade tree in the yard, ventilated attic, all new ducting... went down a size and never regretted it... also was able to use an existing 30 amp circuit by going down a size and save a lot of money because the recommended size would have required a electric service upgrade and running a new circuit.

Your smart doing your research now...

Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ensure the company that sizes the unit performs a Manual J calculation.
Thanks! I'm researching Manual J calculations and sizing systems correctly right now. Apparently over 50% of systems installed are oversized.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 AM

To Ultrarunner's point, the Dept. of Energy says:

Before the era of tightly constructed homes, it was not uncommon to install furnaces and air conditioners that had two to four times the necessary capacity. Since many people have added new windows, caulking, weather-stripping, and insulation to their homes, going by the nameplate is likely to result in an oversized system. Making improvements such as these to reduce heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer should allow you to install a smaller systems while still being comfortable, as well as saving large amounts of energy.

Energy Savers: Sizing Heating and Cooling Systems

Old 04-07-2010, 11:08 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
To Ultrarunner's point, the Dept. of Energy says:

Before the era of tightly constructed homes, it was not uncommon to install furnaces and air conditioners that had two to four times the necessary capacity. Since many people have added new windows, caulking, weather-stripping, and insulation to their homes, going by the nameplate is likely to result in an oversized system. Making improvements such as these to reduce heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer should allow you to install a smaller systems while still being comfortable, as well as saving large amounts of energy.

Energy Savers: Sizing Heating and Cooling Systems
Much better stated than I

Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
The main problems people have is units not installed correctly and not maintained which is covered in every manual I have seen.Then make sure that contractor has been around and will be in the future.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 AM

I'm finding info that says that a good needs assessment and installation is much more important than the brand of equipment you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House