Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM

424 posts, read 2,341,866 times

Advertisements

This is my house. It is ugly. How much would it be to replace the weird door covering with something that's actually part of the house and looks better? Got any ideas?

First we of course have the 1,001 indoor projects we need to work on, but eventually we hope to get to the outside of the house and obviously paint, as well as anything else we can do somewhat inexpensively to make the house look a little cuter.
Attached Thumbnails
looking for ideas for the front of my house-img_1344.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,375,872 times
Hmmm the key is inexpensive.
You could paint as this would first perk up the color and not make it look washed out. But honestly not sure the $ on this.
What I would do is wash off the rust stains and get it looking like a clean slate.
Think about shutters possibly on the windowns, at least the 2 front ones.
Then would also look into window boxes which can be mounted under the windows or
if you along the top railings.
After the snow melts you would then need to look at what type of flowers/plants you have against the house. It appears there is nothing there right now so you might want to look into this also.
Good luck.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:04 PM

there appears to be some sort of bushes/sticks growing under the front windows, but you're right that it's hard to know until spring comes exactly what we're dealing with as far as yard. Great idea about the under-the-window planters, though. Thanks!

And yes, we do plan to paint, and fix the gutters that are causing that brown mark down the side of the house (attn Sellers-- if your house is vacant in the fall, PLEASE still clean up the leaves, or the gutters are a real mess for your future buyers!). I go back and forth about adding shutters....

Old 02-26-2010, 01:06 PM

129 posts, read 413,446 times
This is a no brainer.....shutters,flower boxes and landscaping....Home Depot azaleas,boxwood etc.Youll be amazed.Also change from door and paint it a fun red or green.Change out metal banisters and replace with wood.watch HGTV they do this stuff all the time

Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,966,489 times
I would take of that butt ugly over hang you have there.

Then I would put a peak on the front overhanging with a more stylish porch. Making the peak wider you can put a nice door with a decorative window in it. Then maybe a side window light. Couple of pillars with a deck style porch or you could build it out for a shoe and coat area. Saving the heat when someone comes in the front door.

I think that would pick it up a bit.

Maybe some vinyl siding. That's not that much for a house that size. You could do that yourself. Since you live in an area with snow I would go down and buy that 1/4 inch foam board that folds out. Put that over the existing exterior.

After that you could get some white shutters. Like the old style with 3 wood strips. Maybe even some shake on the peaks around the corner up top.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM

I don't have cable, but I'll check their website

Yes, we were thinking of painting the house sage-type green with light green trim and buying a new front door and painting it red. What color should shutters be if we did that?

We've thought about the banisters too, but what about the roof thingy? Isn't it gross? I don't think painting it will help it. How much might it cost to do what Funymann is saying?

We'll have to do some price compares btwn siding and just repainting. It's sort of a toss up for the area as far as half the homes have been updated in some ways like that and then right next door is a home that looks just like mine still.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,688,675 times
The reason why you think your home looks ugly is that it is simply missing some of the characteristics which add aethestical interest. For instance, you have no over hang on your roof, so the house looks like a box with a hip (sloped) roof on it. Their isn't much to focus the eye on other than the ugly metal awning over the tiny porch. The suggestions above are cosmetic in nature and can do quite a bit to stimulate the eye and create a focus point. There are also some improvements you can do which cost a little more. Adding a dormer at the roof level on the street facing side could do quite a bit to break up the mundain roof. Small architectural details like that can start to reinforce a more "cap cod" look, or other distinct architectural style popular during the time that your home was constructed.

You could add a small roof out over the porch flanked by two columns and build a new larger porch.

Windows could be changed to add interest.

These are obviously somewhat costly investments, but can go a little further than paint, shutters, and flowers.

Watch "curb appeal" on HGTV. Its a show that addresses exactly what you are talking about.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,121,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
The reason why you think your home looks ugly is that it is simply missing some of the characteristics which add aethestical interest. For instance, you have no over hang on your roof, so the house looks like a box with a hip (sloped) roof on it. Their isn't much to focus the eye on other than the ugly metal awning over the tiny porch. The suggestions above are cosmetic in nature and can do quite a bit to stimulate the eye and create a focus point. There are also some improvements you can do which cost a little more. Adding a dormer at the roof level on the street facing side could do quite a bit to break up the mundain roof. Small architectural details like that can start to reinforce a more "cap cod" look, or other distinct architectural style popular during the time that your home was constructed.

You could add a small roof out over the porch flanked by two columns and build a new larger porch.

I agree. I run past a small house like this everyday and the homeowners did this last spring and it just really makes the house "pop".

Please don't call your house "ugly" . If she's sheltering you and your family, she's doing the best she can. Are you in the Midwest? We have tons of houses like this where I live (plus the blanket of snow).

Otherwise, clean the old girl up a bit, add shutters (window boxes are a cute idea too), some shrubs and a fresh coat of paint on the door. Pick a welcoming color. It could end up being a real "dollhouse".

Enjoy your home!

p.s. other little touches: new front light, address plaque, and get rid of the hose-hanger. Either hang it on the side of the house or look for a big ceramic hose-holder or pot at yard sales this spring.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:38 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,375,872 times
Good eye plaidmom I just noticed the hose hanger. Yep that's got to go, if the faucet is there you can get a decorative hose pot that it coils up in. Or just take the hose away and only bring out when used.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:51 PM

430 posts, read 1,695,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
Yes, we were thinking of painting the house sage-type green with light green trim and buying a new front door and painting it red. What color should shutters be if we did that?
If these are the colors you've chosen, I'd vote for dark green shutters. Be careful with "light green" trim please , there are so many ugly light greens! I just saw a sage green and buttery ivory color house (as opposed to light green) that was really pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House