Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times

Advertisements

I posted before about adding a portico to my home, but decided against it because of cost and difficulty of installation. I would like some ideas from you guys as to what can be done to spruce up my entry way on the cheap. I am considering painting the front door a dark brown, I would like some type of covering above the door but something that matches the architectural style of the home. I was also considering slate tiles on the walkway. What do you guys/gals think? Also I am fairly handy and would rather do all the work. Here is the home for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Entry ideas?-dsc01430.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Well, just my opinion but....

First, I would not paint the door brown. It will just blend in too much with the color of the brick. I'm pretty color challenged so I won't offer up any suggestions on what would be a good color.

Second - I would change out your light fixtures. They are way too small for the space and they kind of get lost against the brick.

Third - I would focus on your landscaping. I prefer softer, rounder forms near the front door. The skinny, taller ones you have there look stark and in a few years that will probably overpower that area.

Personally I wouldn't do any covering over your front door. The spacing above the keystone and that large window isn't large enough. Also, since your driveway and sidewalk are pretty continuous in color and material, I would probably leave the sidewalk alone.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Are your shutters black? If so, I would paint the front door black, not brown.

Second, how about some thick molding above the door (where the keystone sits). I have a similar front door but I have a historic house and the area above my front door has the same glass windows as the ones flanking the door. However, inside, all doorways are topped with a thick molding (about 6"H with dentil and other decorative trim). The features above the door help balance the sides. I'm not sure how this would work for your door area since I can't see a close-up of the door.

Agree with Uconn regarding the light fixtures. The ones there look kind of bony.

Agree with Uconn again on landscaping.

Before spending alot of money and energy on the sidewalk, think about other things in an inviting entryway:

* fabulous hardware
* kickplate in coordinating metal
* doorbell
* a great doormat (I like the demi-lune/semi-circle ones which would also mimic the shape of your door window and palladium window). Think about size, not a small one
* urns or planters (2), one on each side of the door
* gathered sheer curtains on the inside windows (could soften the look but see if it works)
* border plants along the sidewalk all the way to the driveway.
* color! use pretty colorful flowers in the urns and in the border plants

Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
Most of this said above I agree with:

1. Get bigger fixtures.
2. You have so much glass in the door and sidelights that I don't think painting it will change it much. (Other than that I am a fan of red "Clifford" the dog doors)
3. Leave the sidewalk alone. Save the stone for the backyard as the sidewalk looks to be in great shape and the same color.
4. Defiently focus on adding some color through landscaping. That is what you need most. Bring in some different heights to the front yard.

I would rather have a portico, but looking at the space between the top of your door and the bottom of the window I don't think it would be worth the costs. There are other styles of porticos that look nice that could work for you. ( I am biased b/c I love porches and think everyhouse should have one).

Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Well, thanks Guys,
1. I never thought about changing the lights to bigger ones-thats a great idea-will do.
2. I considered painting the door a dark brown to match the shutters-but I do understand what you guys are saying about it blending in with the brick-I love red but we are only allowed to paint our doors black, brown or white.
3. As for the landscaping, this is an older pic, I dont have a recent one but the 2 plants by the door have reached the bottom of the lights and I have kept them trimmed at that height. I do need some color in the front. I can plant some annuals come spring time.
4. I was worried about the slate looking too busy or awkward with the driveway-I will nix this idea.
5.Putting moulding around the door may help but would you go over the keystone? Wouldn't that look weird?
6. I will definitely change the hardware, and get a nice doormat.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming! Here is better pic of the front entrance.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Entry ideas?-dsc01432.jpg  

Old 01-15-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
Well, thanks Guys,
5.Putting moulding around the door may help but would you go over the keystone? Wouldn't that look weird?
The molding I "think" they are referring to is in a gable or triangular shape with decrative scrolls and such. I see them all the time and can't find a picture right now to save my life. It would completly cover the keystone. I think you could go both ways. I persoanlly would just leave the keystone to match the one above it unless I found one of those moldings that I fell in love with.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
I agree with Mike - I think the keystone is nice so I wouldn't add any molding at all. And since you have keystones above the garage doors and the other window I think it ties in nicely. Since your colors are limited, I would honestly probably just leave it white and focus on the lansdcaping with some color and the light fixtures, door hardware, etc. Something about those bushes on either side that I still don't like. I would probably still consider switching them out with something in a rounder form as a backdrop and then if you have some space adding some annuals to the front for color

Another thought if you want to spruce up the sidewalk area - any chance you can get some bricks that match your home?? If you can, I would consider lining the sidewalk on either side with matching brick. Not sure how to explain it, but it would be the same height as the sidewalk and you would place them against each other all the way to the driveway... it would make the walk a little wider and add some visual interest.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM

How about something like this copper awning over the front door? Yea or Ney.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 PM

I was even thinking to look at making the roofs of the front (what are those extra pushouts from the all with three sides called again?) brass or metal, but since the portico was too expenisive changing the roof over would be too, especially to copper.

It would go well with the above suggestion.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
How about an awning? Sort of like the types that cover the doors in fancy restaurants. A neighbor in my subdivision has one, and it looks surprising nice. Not the hard metal, but the rounded fabric kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House