Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,312,051 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I did a search and found threads that were 1-2 years old. Now that steam washer and dryers are more commonplace, I want your opinion.

Ultimate Electronics is selling a GE Steam Washer and Dryer. It claims it saves energy and the dryer supposedly dries in 1/5th the time. It sounds too good to be true. I own two front loaders and I don't like them. I feel like it takes longer to wash clothes and certainly longer to dry clothes.

It costs significantly more money for the steam cleaner and dryer. Does the technology really improve speed in terms of cleaning and drying like it advertises or is it a bunch of b.s.

I would like to hear from everyone including people who chose not to buy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
Supposedly, they are hard on your clothing. Conceptually they should clean better than hot water. It makes sense that they might dry faster, but if they do not saturate your cloting, then I am nto sure how well they will wash away dirt, germs viruses, and the stuff that makes you stink after a long day.

You can get commercial grade washing machines with a very high spin cycle speed. They remove more water and make your clothing dry much faster in the dryer. Some of the front loaders have slightly higher spin speeds, but the commercial ones are really high speed. They cost a lot, but work great.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Supposedly, they are hard on your clothing. Conceptually they should clean better than hot water. It makes sense that they might dry faster, but if they do not saturate your cloting, then I am nto sure how well they will wash away dirt, germs viruses, and the stuff that makes you stink after a long day.

You can get commercial grade washing machines with a very high spin cycle speed. They remove more water and make your clothing dry much faster in the dryer. Some of the front loaders have slightly higher spin speeds, but the commercial ones are really high speed. They cost a lot, but work great.
That is my concern. I have a pair of Kenmore Elite front loader washer/dryer(5 years old) and I don't feel like my clothes come out as clean as they did with an old fashioned top loader because they use less water. I think there is a significant difference. Whites done come out as white, towels don't smell as fresh. I will probably pass up these steamers because they supposedly use even less water.

Do you know of any commercial grade washing machines off the top of your head. Because I have a feeling if I walk into Sears and ask about them, the sales clerk will lie and just say all the washing machines in the store have commercial grade spinning. I don't mind paying more because I'm sick of my Kenmore Elite

Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,097,564 times
I just purchased a Samsung steam dryer and love it! I still have my 5 year old Siemens front loading washing machine. It is very energy efficient.

I did some research on steam dryers before purchasing this one. First, the water source is directly from the faucet. They installed a "y" connection. I did not want a unit that had a water reservoir. What if I didn't have enough water in the tank or if the water became stale?

I wanted the dryer specifically for refreshing clothes via the steam function. I took a silk shirt that was very wrinkled from my closet and threw it in the dryer on steam mode/refresh mode. I even stopped the dryer in mid cycle and sure enough, my shirt was wet At the end of the cycle, about 90% of the wrinkles were gone I was very happy

Hope that helps.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I just purchased a Samsung steam dryer and love it! I still have my 5 year old Siemens front loading washing machine. It is very energy efficient.

I did some research on steam dryers before purchasing this one. First, the water source is directly from the faucet. They installed a "y" connection. I did not want a unit that had a water reservoir. What if I didn't have enough water in the tank or if the water became stale?

I wanted the dryer specifically for refreshing clothes via the steam function. I took a silk shirt that was very wrinkled from my closet and threw it in the dryer on steam mode/refresh mode. I even stopped the dryer in mid cycle and sure enough, my shirt was wet At the end of the cycle, about 90% of the wrinkles were gone I was very happy

Hope that helps.
If I understand you correctly, some of these steam dryers have a reservoir and others don't and it's better to buy the ones that don't have a "y" connection installed? So when I go shopping for these, make sure to ask if these dryer has the reservoir or if it connects directly to the water source.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,097,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If I understand you correctly, some of these steam dryers have a reservoir and others don't and it's better to buy the ones that don't have a "y" connection installed? So when I go shopping for these, make sure to ask if these dryer has the reservoir or if it connects directly to the water source.
Yes - some models only have a reservoir tank. They seemed very small to me. The model that I purchased has a hose that directly connects to the faucet.

The "y" connection does not require a plumber as the installer just attaches the y connection and it splits the water supply from the main feed of water and splits one line to the dryer and the other line to the washing machine.

I have also used the steam refresh mode on a load of laundry that has dried and has just sat there to knock out the wrinkles.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM

Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
You'll probably spend more time researching these fancy washers and dryers than all the time combined they save you by speeding up the process. Also, your cost per wash will probably be two or three times higher with a more expensive, delux machine. Does anybody really need 802.11g connectivity with machines that demagnetize their underwear?

Buy one of the cheapest name brand washers and dryers that meets your size requirements: Sears, Costco, Best Buy, Frys, etc. Get as few bells and whistles as possible: Basically: Size, temp, and the basic washing processes. Same for dryer. Ninety five percent of the time you just need a basic wash. Your clothes won't be any cleaner with the $1000 washers and the machines won't last any longer if the same line - in fact, there's more to break so you may need service more often.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,799,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You'll probably spend more time researching these fancy washers and dryers than all the time combined they save you by speeding up the process. Also, your cost per wash will probably be two or three times higher with a more expensive, delux machine. Does anybody really need 802.11g connectivity with machines that demagnetize their underwear?

Buy one of the cheapest name brand washers and dryers that meets your size requirements: Sears, Costco, Best Buy, Frys, etc. Get as few bells and whistles as possible: Basically: Size, temp, and the basic washing processes. Same for dryer. Ninety five percent of the time you just need a basic wash. Your clothes won't be any cleaner with the $1000 washers and the machines won't last any longer if the same line - in fact, there's more to break so you may need service more often.
This is good advice. I will, however, defend the honor of the "steam refresh" function on my LG Tromm series. That's a great bell/whistle and means that my clothes spend a lot less time at the dry-cleaners. Unless the clothes have been soiled by paw-prints, spills, etc. etc. I put them in the washer after I get home from the office, run the steam-fresh cycle and hang-them up. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 12,681 times
I have to disagree with some of u. I purchased the Samsung front loader washer and dryer with steam cycles. I previously had a kenmore. I thought my kenmore was awesome!! Until I got the Samsung. Now I realize I have had a poor washer for the past several years. The Samsung pair get all of our clothes, towels and bedding so clean and smelling so fresh it's absolutely amazing. Far far superior than anything I've ever used or seen even other family or friends use. The steam function is great. My kids go to private schools so wrinkle free clothing is essential. My husband works in masonry and his clothes come out looking brand new even after it looks like he bathed in concrete!! One of my children once and a whole has an "accident" at night, and now the sheets and blankets come out smelling like there was never a mishap. I'm so pleased. The size makes it easy to do a weeks worth of laundry in just a load of two. Simply amazing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House