Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:10 PM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at which washer/dryer combo is going to be better for us, but with all the bells and whistles that these appliances are coming with these days, I am somewhat confused . A steam washer/dryer cost at least $400-$500 more per unit, so we are actually wondering if it is actually worth the extras. The wife already swears that she will not even entertain the idea of buying the pedestals, so now we just have to figure out what to get. Any suggestions on whether or not these steam washer/dryer Combos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
We have them and love them, but we got floor models so we paid about what non-steam front loaders cost. We also got the pedestals because I don't want to bend over to put the laundry in the wash. Again, they were floor models and were "a deal". My main reason for wanting steam was because my son has eczema. I don't use the steam feature on the dryer often and maybe use it on the washer once or twice a month (mainly when I wash my son's sheets).

Old 01-01-2010, 06:55 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
I don't have the steam front loader but I do have the front loader. I didn't buy the pedestals and I regret it. I think they are worth the money.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
I don't have a steamer washer but have a steam dryer. I have only had the dryer for a short time but so far, I like having the option of a steam cycle. I think it will be great when I need to freshen clothes that would otherwise go to the dry cleaners.

My dryer does not have a water reservoir, it is connected to the water supply.

I have the pedestals and they're great as the unit sits up higher and you can store laundry detergent in them too.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
I have a front loading washer with the steam option by LG, love it.
The steam cycle is optional. Takes only about 4 items at a time and the steam cycle is about 25 minutes long.
The washer has an internal heater which cranks the water heat up in side the machine itself so it doesn't affect your house water heater or anything.
Water usage is way down from our old top loader. The gas dryer that goes with the steam washer is just a regular dryer for the most part. Haven't had a problem with them at all.
I'm with your wife on the whole pedestal thing being a waste of money.
I have small kids and they LOVE helping with the laundry, (lucky me I know) they are thrilled to be able to throw the stuff in/out and they've learned how to use all the settings etc....
I don't think the bending down thing is a big deal at all. I bend down to get the dishes out of the dishwasher too...the consumer world has yet to be convinced that we need a pedestal for that appliance so I don't wee why the heck we would really need them at all....unless of course you want to shell out an extra 600 bucks?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Pedestals for storage and looks.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:57 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,985,263 times
I have Samsung with steam in the washer and dryer. I love the steam in refresh setting on dryer for when I leave clothes in there too long and they get wrinkled. A little steam and they come out nice. I've only had the set for a couple of months, but I don't think I've used steam in the washer unless the white cycle uses it...not sure about that. I alway have "silvercare" in the wash and I use that fairly frequently. It's supposed to sorta disinfect and get rid of smells. I have a 9yr old boy, so I find that helpful. I don't have the pedestals because I want to be able to fold clothes on top of the washer and dryer.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
We have the LG steamers. I don't see a real reason to have Steam in both the washer and the dryer. We do. If you are buying colors and want them to match you might not have a choice, but if you are buying white, you can probably downgrade one to non steam. I use the steam washer more I think.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 PM

228 posts, read 740,192 times
If I were to get a new front load machine it would have steam. One has to remember that these new front loader machines use very little water so there is no soak cylcle which most people used to help remove stubborn stains. I belive the steam is a huge benefit because it breaks down grease better and with less wear than a soak and spray chemicals.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 8,874 times
Exclamation Clearly overrated

Manufactures always keep finding ways to introduce new features to entice customers for an upgrade. Steam washers will need water to boil and continuously boil to produce steam. Also no machine in steam cycle just has a steam only cycle where by no water is added to the drum and only stream and continuously injected steam is cleaning the clothes. So in my mind it is all a hype. If you have a washer that has good internal heater to wash clothes in hot to warm water then that should be more than fine. Also another point to note from all the people who use the steam function it adds significant time to the wash cycle which gives the clothes additional wash. So is the steam doing the extra cleaning or the extra time of the wash run? Just get a standard top loader washer and dryer and that should be fine. I have a set of Mieles and they don't have steam and my clothes come out sparkling clean no pre treatment spot treatment etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House