Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,285,178 times

Advertisements

I understand the basic concept behind a heat pump.

I just need to know a few details, so those who are more knowledgeable than me PLEASE share.

We moved into our new place during the warm spell in November.

When the temperature dropped, the blower seemed to run excessively, on for 20-30 minutes and off for 10-15 minutes and was loud.

It had an old mercury switch thermostat and we replaced it with a digital and the system was quiter and not on as much and the air was warm.

Lately, especially at night, the blower is again running 15-30 minutes, and continues even when the digital thermostat reaches its preset limit, which is 67 degrees.

The air is cool-ish. I let it run for 15 minutes before I dial down the thermostat one degree. When the blower stops, I return the thermostat to previous setting and the blower remains off.

The blower stops for about 5 minutes and begins again, another 15-30 minute cycle.

My questions are:

1. Should the blower continue working after the temperature reaches the setting on the thermostat? Is there a "time" for it to continue to assure the house is uniformly heated?

2. What temperature should the air be that is flowing from the floor vents? I believe it is around 65ish (it feels cool).

3. Should I be concerned the blower is running so long so often?

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM

23,640 posts, read 70,601,731 times
Heat pumps act differently at different outside temperatures. I did a thread on a different forum explaining what goes on.

Heat pump efficiencies and use explained - Homesteading Today

1. Should the blower continue working after the temperature reaches the setting on the thermostat? Is there a "time" for it to continue to assure the house is uniformly heated?

In cold weather, it'll remain on until the auxiliary heat has cooled to a safe preset temperature. Otherwise it remains on until the coil is about 80 (usually). The settings are to grab the last bits of useful heat.

2. What temperature should the air be that is flowing from the floor vents? I believe it is around 65ish (it feels cool).

Depends. In general, take a thermometer and make sure it is at least one or two degrees above room temperature. If your ducts are long or poorly insulated, temps can drop below that during cold weather.

3. Should I be concerned the blower is running so long so often?

In cold weather, that is the way they work, to avoid using the auxiliary heat as much as possible.

There comes a point on the coldest days that you may save money by using space heaters. See the link for more details.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,285,178 times
THANKS...Greatly appreciate the link. I did find more info via search...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House