Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 10:23 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,529 times

Advertisements

We've just moved and have finally gone through a bunch of stuff we don't need or use anymore, so in a few weeks we are having a garage sale. We've never had one so could you give us some tips? The things we are selling are in really good condition/like new. You won't see any fuzzy tissue box holders or clothes that have been in a box in an attic for along time. What are some good prices for womens clothing? WHat about books? I have alot of hardback and paperback that are practically new, what do those usually price for? I haven't been to many garage sales so (I already have too much stuff!) don't know really what to price things for. We want to make some money but don't want to overprice stuff either. The few garage sales I've been to I've seen some people sell bake goods for $1 or have some sodas in a cooler. Is that a waste of time or do people actually make money doing that too?

Any tips for our first garage sale would be great. THank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 PM

75 posts, read 278,552 times
Depending on the condition of the paperback books, 25cents to 1-1.50... and that also depends on the author. The rest of the items I do not know.

Perhaps if you drive around the neighborhood and look at other garage sales, you might get an idea of what people pay for things in your area.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:50 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,006 times
I am not sure on the baked goods people are fickle about others homebaked goods if the have to pay for it
but the sodas always go well at my garage sales also we go and get those snack size chips meant for school lunches sell them for 50 cents
get the store brand of soda also
if they are thirsty they will drink it

make sure you advertise your sale in the pennysaver or local newspaper at least 2 sundays in a row prior to your sale and put your sign up at the busy street the Wednesday before it really works

Old 05-21-2007, 11:01 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Good luck with your first sale!

Be prepared for people wanting to talk you down in price, even if you have an item marked at 10 cents. If you think you've overpriced an item, someone will try to "correct" that for you. Usually if I'm setting out an item I'm iffy on getting rid of in the first place, I'll overprice it and stand firm on the price.

Make sure you've got a few large items on your lawn to attract drive-by traffic. Even if you don't have a lot of stuff, spread it out to make it look like you've got a lot.

Oh, and ask your neighbors if they'd be interested in having a sale the same day. Multi-family sales will draw more traffic. A caveat: A lot of times that just results in you buying/trading for your neighbors' stuff!

As far as women's clothing, maybe $1 for blouses, sweaters or slacks; $2 or $3 for jackets and $4 or $5 for coats.

If craigslist covers your area, advertise there, too.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:15 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default I have done tons of yard sales

There is one trick that makes you the most money.

Never price things in even amounts, like 2, 4, 8 dollars etc. Peeps tend to divide that number in half and that is what they want to pay. Use prime numbers, especially odd ones like 11, 3, 7. Peeps tend to be willing to pay the full price for some weird reason. They struggle to come up with a proper deduct amount with odd numbers.

Figure out what is fairly valued and you will not mark down. I usually liked to have some junk, I would throw in as part of the deal instead of mark downs. Peeps like free stuff, even if they do not need it. Do deducts if required on bundled items, not individuals. Use a percent, instead of a number. Depends on how bad you want to move the goods.

Put it all on tables for small stuff if possible. Watch out for peeps stealing small stuff, it does happen, especially in places like MA.

Is the same way I try to buy at sales. Get a bundle of stuff, make the offer as the total.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
You should definitely have sodas (and maybe coffee) available for sale. I was out garage saleing one day an desperate for a soda. One house had a stockpile of sodas in the back corner of the garage and I offered to buy one. They went in and got me a cold one

Old 05-21-2007, 05:35 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
have a box for your money (make sure you have ones and coins for change), and then KEEP IT WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES!!! Have some designated help. I have a carload show up and while one or two are keeping you busy with lots of questions and negotiating, others are taking the 5 finger discount. Prepare your "helpers" to go over and and talk to folks so they know you are all watching.

I'm push over on price as i want the stuff gone. You will have to decide how much you want to move in your sale, and what you will do with it after the sale. whatever is left over goes to charity. Sometimes I think I get a better deal just donating and taking the tax deduction, lol!!

Above all else, have fun with it. It is an experience!!

shelly

Old 05-26-2007, 11:30 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Definitely have a LOT of 1's and 5's, that way you won't run out. Most people go to the ATM beforehand and will have 20's and then they will buy something for $2. That gets annoying!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Shellytc got it right when she said "have fun with it". Most folks will always treat you right and have something interesting to say. It's neat when someone finds value in something you no longer want or need. And vice versa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House