Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,762 times

Advertisements

The handling of refrigerant that is regulated by the E P A are CORRECTLY difficult for the average handyman to mess with. There are many A C / Heat pump units that are self contained that are not separate condenser-compressor / evaporator-air handler units. These combination units set outdoors the same as the popular separated units and only require electrical air flow ducting that is easily and legally installed by an average skilled homeowner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 02:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Shark bites no, but flares can be used. They usually aren't though, not sure why. Maybe brazing is just more reliable.
Because they are metal to metal joints and can leak if subjected to long term vibration (like, for example, at the condenser/compressor unit of an AC system). Also the sealing area is rather small and the success of the joint is highly dependent on the assembly torque and the surface finish of the mating parts. I'd sooner use Swagelok fittings myself; I think they make some refrigerant-tight ones.

The standard for joints in small hermetic refrigerant systems is brazing/silver soldering.

To the OP's original question, if this is still an open question, the failed place will need to be fixed; then if you are lucky there will be access ports on the suction and discharge lines; you will have to connect a vacuum pump and evacuate the system to remove air and water vapor; usually leave for at least a couple hours but better overnight; recharge with the correct refrigerant (do you have the license to handle refrigerant? Do you know how to determine the correct amount of refrigerant?); if a lot of oil was lost you ought to replace some oil as well; then do a function test.

If you're unlucky you won't have access ports and you'll have to cut into the pigtails, clamp adapters on them, go through the evac/charge process, then crimp the pigtails closed (do you have the special crimper? Do you know what I'm talking about?)) and silver solder/braze the pigtails closed.

There are very few homeowners for whom a refrigerant system repair involving opening the system is practical.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:28 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,664 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebpILeMsi8

Old 11-20-2020, 02:10 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
Been a licensed HVAC Tech for better that 30 years, I don't silver solder anything unleess it's close to a valve or control that excess heat can damage and even then I will use a heat sink if possible.
i used to use a turbo torch and that lower temp silver bearing solder when i was in the business .

Old 11-20-2020, 02:17 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Because they are metal to metal joints and can leak if subjected to long term vibration (like, for example, at the condenser/compressor unit of an AC system). Also the sealing area is rather small and the success of the joint is highly dependent on the assembly torque and the surface finish of the mating parts. I'd sooner use Swagelok fittings myself; I think they make some refrigerant-tight ones.

The standard for joints in small hermetic refrigerant systems is brazing/silver soldering.

To the OP's original question, if this is still an open question, the failed place will need to be fixed; then if you are lucky there will be access ports on the suction and discharge lines; you will have to connect a vacuum pump and evacuate the system to remove air and water vapor; usually leave for at least a couple hours but better overnight; recharge with the correct refrigerant (do you have the license to handle refrigerant? Do you know how to determine the correct amount of refrigerant?); if a lot of oil was lost you ought to replace some oil as well; then do a function test.

If you're unlucky you won't have access ports and you'll have to cut into the pigtails, clamp adapters on them, go through the evac/charge process, then crimp the pigtails closed (do you have the special crimper? Do you know what I'm talking about?)) and silver solder/braze the pigtails closed.

There are very few homeowners for whom a refrigerant system repair involving opening the system is practical.
almost 50 years ago i needed to come up with a profession .

i thought of everything i could do and came up with nothing .

guys would build their own houses , rebuild automatic transmissions , etc .

being a pro drummer at the timei i saw the handwriting on the wall as dee jays were replacing live music and i did not want to be obsoleted again .

then a guy in a white lab coat was on tv advertising apex tech and i said to myself , there is something few will do . almost no one pokes around inside the sealed system of a commercial ac unit or refergeration gear .

so i went with it...

the basics led me on a career spanning decades as i eventually became a sales engineer and designed custom fan and pump control panels for the water pumping and sewage treatment industry using variable frequency drives ..

but the fact so few could or would poke around inside ac and refrig gear proved to be a lucrative choice

Old 11-20-2020, 08:53 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
You can use this to join ac connections.

MaxiPro can be used with hard, half hard, or annealed copper tubing that conforms to EN 12735-1 or ASTM-B280 in both air conditioning and refrigeration applications.Jun 14, 2018 this is the time saving tool for plumbers and hvac techs.

How to join 2 copper HVAC pipes together without brazing-26aced06-9814-4d39-ae72-c8b880a376b6.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House