Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times

Advertisements

I'm no plumber. I have almost no working technical knowledge of anything plumbing related. I have some common sense though...and I'm trying to use it by not diving in and just doing this without asking about it.

So hear goes. I'll try to explain the situation as best as I can.

I want to add a wet bar to my basement. Meaning I need hot and cold waterlines run over to it from the source which is in the basement. It uses the new style plastic lines (can't remember the name for them at the moment). That's actually the easy part.

The hard part is the drain.

Directly behind the wall where I want to install the sink is a 2" PVC drain from the upstairs sink and laundry room. It just runs straight down the wall into the concrete floor...and I'm assuming it elbow's and runs into the main drainline on the other end of the house. Is there any reason that I couldn't tap into that with a 'Y' fitting and connect my drain from my wet bar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
What you want to use is a combination Wye fitting 1/8.
Charlotte Pipe # 502- if I remember correctly.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 AM

So you're saying I can do it? Cool.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
I don't really see a problem. A bar sink gets used once in a blue moon. Technically, you could be overloading a 2" drain- don't know for sure without looking it up.
But, it does get a little tricky. Using the wye, the drain (from the bar sink) doesn't pull well because there's no direct vent. The waste line will act as a wet vent to a certain degree, for the bar sink. But to be on the safe side install a Studer vent under the sink after the p-trap.
If you didn't follow along- you may want to hire plumber.
Good Luck-

Old 12-01-2009, 11:59 AM

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Product...8A%20(409).pdf

OK I looked up the Wye pipe on page 8. It looks exactly like what I would think I would need.

I know what you mean about the bar sink. I wouldn't get used often but it would get used.

I looked up Studor vents. I think I understand the issue.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:22 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Sounds totally reasonable and do-able, but...

Would this be the lowest open drainhole in the house? When a sewer main backs up (notice the WHEN, not IF) it usually starts the flood of the interior at the lowest drain. Keep your box of goldfish above the counter and avoid plush absorbent rugs and underlay.

Also, if there is a joint in the sewer used for a clothes washer that isn't smooth, lint can sometimes build up over time on the protrusion and create a blockage. (BTDT) Make sure the joint is slick as .... on the interior.

I only mention the above in an effort of complete disclosure. Chances are really really good that everything will be fine.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 AM

Actually no it wouldnt' be the lowest drain. That credit goes to the shower in the basement....followed by the toilet and sink in the same bathroom. The wetbar sink would be above that level.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 AM

139 posts, read 568,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I'm no plumber. I have almost no working technical knowledge of anything plumbing related. I have some common sense though...and I'm trying to use it by not diving in and just doing this without asking about it.

So hear goes. I'll try to explain the situation as best as I can.

I want to add a wet bar to my basement. Meaning I need hot and cold waterlines run over to it from the source which is in the basement. It uses the new style plastic lines (can't remember the name for them at the moment). That's actually the easy part.

The hard part is the drain.

Directly behind the wall where I want to install the sink is a 2" PVC drain from the upstairs sink and laundry room. It just runs straight down the wall into the concrete floor...and I'm assuming it elbow's and runs into the main drainline on the other end of the house. Is there any reason that I couldn't tap into that with a 'Y' fitting and connect my drain from my wet bar?

The water lines are pex.2 things with the bar drain.the trap will have the water pulled into waste pipe when the washer dumps.that will let sewer gas in through the dry trap.so you would have to run some water in the sink to reseal the trap after washer dumps.a quick vent properly installed would stop that.when you cut in the tee wye,install another one on top of it for a cleanout.eventually the soap in the wash water will clog the horizontal waste line under the floor.it may not happen for years but you will have an easy access for a snake to clear the line.
hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House