Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:15 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,716 times

Advertisements

What is a good brand of slide-out shelves for kitchen/pantry? I got a mailer from ShelfGenie (www.shelfgenie.com) but I'm just wondering who makes good quality ones and about what they run price wise? I currently have wire shelves in my closet pantry and hate things falling through the wires and having to dig around looking for things. I've resorted to putting cardboard sheets on the shelves to keep things from falling through, but this does not help with having to dig through to find things.

For those of you who do not know what pull out shelves are, they are sort of like shallow drawers that pull out in the place of fixed shelves. They have solid bottoms so things do not get caught (appliance feet) or fall through and you can pull the shelf out and see what's in the back.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,344,266 times
Those from shelf genie look just like the Merrilat ones on my kitchen. You will love em!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I have ones that look like those and the cabinet maker just made the with draw slides.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:19 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
I never heard of Shelf Genie but I can tell by the pics they are quality. But the quality I see will make those things quite expensive. Mary mentions they look like her Merillat pull out shelves. Since Merillat is my first born child I can say the Merillat standard ones are no where near the quality of the Shelf Genie. The Merillat upgraded solid maple shelves are closer but the 3 piece ball bearing steal guides in those pics of Shelf Genie are top notch. Merillat sells thier standard ones for $78 each list price which means we sell them for about $39 each. The upgrade ones Merillat sells for about $125 which means we sell for about $62 each.

I know of another company called Pull Out Shelf Company who charges $125 each for pure junk. By junk I mean side mount guides with half inch melamine drawer construction. You want the 3 piece steel ball bearing guides because they are full extention. The standard side mount guides are 3/4 extention which kinda defeats the purpose.

You can also look into Rev-A-Shelf company who sells them which are chrome plated steel basket type drawers. I think they run about $80 each but have kinda like a 4 sizes to fit all. With Merillat, Shelf Genie and Pull Out Shelf Comoany you order the pull out shelf that is an exact fit for the opening.

I never heard of putting these in a closet shelf as you suggested. Most closets are 24" deep and the stupid builder puts a 12" deep shelf in it. These custom made drawers require a shelf to sit on. The Merillat ones do not, they mount to the inside of the side stiles. Only a couple other cabinet companies make pull out shelves. I see no reason on earth not to put pull out shelves in the base cabinets. Those half depth shelves are useless and worthless. The full depth shelves are a bit better but you have to get on your hands and knees to get anything out. With pull out shelves you never have to bend over ever again. And since 80% of Americans have a bad back and the other 20% are from Europe then I feel pull shelves should be standard on all base cabinets.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 AM

desertsun41, I tried to rep you but your reputation is beyond repute!! Anyway, thanks for the info, it is very valuable. We are working with a CKBD on a little remodeling project and I've decided not to get new kitchen cabinets but instead to try to make the ones I have more usable. Your suggestion about not using these expensive drawers in the pantry will save me some $$. I saw the mailer and they showed the pantry decked out with these drawers and I thought to myself that I just can't live without them. Now, having an idea about what to look for and pricing, I can decide where I really need them.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:16 PM

Default Update: Neighbor beat me to the punch

My neighbor who has my same kitchen floor plan used Shelf Genie and spent a little over $3000. Ouch. She did do her pantry though, 5 slide out drawers perhaps. In addition, most base cabinets are 3X" wide and she had a total of 8 more put in there. Maybe 13 slide outs total. Maybe $250-300 each.

They are very well made and durable, with heavy duty (euro?) glides - the ones with double metal rails and ball bearings.

I don't want to do my pantry like she did, but I'm seriously considering the rest of the base cabs, particularly those with pots and pans and heavy bowls, appliances, etc.

I'm trying to find out if my cabinet maker (Aristokraft) of my 12 yr old cabinets has these and what quality they are. Wondering if they are less money.

Last edited by cstleddy; 11-22-2009 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: added indiv. price

Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
My neighbor who has my same kitchen floor plan used Shelf Genie and spent a little over $3000. Ouch. She did do her pantry though, 5 slide out drawers perhaps. In addition, most base cabinets are 3X" wide and she had a total of 8 more put in there. Maybe 13 slide outs total. Maybe $250-300 each.

They are very well made and durable, with heavy duty (euro?) glides - the ones with double metal rails and ball bearings.

I don't want to do my pantry like she did, but I'm seriously considering the rest of the base cabs, particularly those with pots and pans and heavy bowls, appliances, etc.

I'm trying to find out if my cabinet maker (Aristokraft) of my 12 yr old cabinets has these and what quality they are. Wondering if they are less money.
Sorry I missed your post on 10-20. There is no such thing as $3000 pull out trays, no matter how huge the kitchen is. Some one is fibbing you.

The Rev-A-Shelf brand I always advise people on cost about $70 each. Put 2 in each base cabinet. The most expensive pantry kit available lists for $1075 and we sell them for $500. It is a very sophisticated series of mini shelves that all hinge outward. 2 are permanantly mounted on the doors and 2 are mounted in the back and hinge out on a pole for easy access. This system is awesome but not many buy it because of the high cost.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:28 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,655 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Sorry I missed your post on 10-20. There is no such thing as $3000 pull out trays, no matter how huge the kitchen is. Some one is fibbing you.

The Rev-A-Shelf brand I always advise people on cost about $70 each. Put 2 in each base cabinet. The most expensive pantry kit available lists for $1075 and we sell them for $500. It is a very sophisticated series of mini shelves that all hinge outward. 2 are permanantly mounted on the doors and 2 are mounted in the back and hinge out on a pole for easy access. This system is awesome but not many buy it because of the high cost.
Thanks for the info. My neighbor does tend to exaggerate, bless her heart. I'm going to have Shelf Genie come give me a free estimate. I'm working with a K&B designer and I'll ask her about other options/manufacturers. I've been to Rev A Shelf's website and will see about getting pricing from them as well.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 31,314 times
Thanks for the information..It is great..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House