Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:24 PM

5,744 posts, read 17,615,721 times

Advertisements

I'm shopping for hardwood floors to replace the carpeted areas of our house. I've noticed some interesting styles in the showrooms that are referred to as "hand-scraped", or "distressed". Has anyone seen these styles of hardwoods in any houses? They look kinda cool, but I'm not sure they'd look as cool if they were covering a large area. Do they tend to be used in smaller rooms? Are they becoming the "in" thing? Will they go the way of sponge-painted walls and be out of style in 5 years? Have you seen any model homes in the Raleigh area with these hardwoods? I'd like to take a look at them installed instead of just a few square feet in a showroom.

Last edited by NewUser; 05-06-2007 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 06:49 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,221,227 times
My opinion, I don't like them-they look to me like the floors in my rented house, which are nice wood but at 50yrs old, need refinishing. I wouldn't want to see that in a new home, I'd perceive them as needing work.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:01 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,191,647 times
They can look good, but I would be afraid of them being a turnoff to any future buyers (my mother in law for example would hate them). I'd stick with the classic hardwood floors. I think distressed floors would be best suited for a French Country or Tuscan style home.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:49 PM

959 posts, read 4,495,621 times
My gut is that you would get tired of them after a while. They sound like they'd be distracting and you may prefer to have your floors enhance your decor rather than be an integral part of it. Particularly since they're so expensive to replace - unlike paint color or curtains Now if you do decide to go for the look, don't pay extra for it - just get the cheapest hardwoods you can find and I'll send my boys over for a few hours. They'll have them distressed in no time

Old 05-06-2007, 09:27 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,015,379 times
They are beautiful floors. They wear well. I have done several clients homes with them as they were all the rage about 4 years back. One big down fall IMO is the fact that your furniture does not sit evenly on them. So if you have them in the kitchen be prepared to have a wobbly table!

Old 05-06-2007, 11:11 PM

351 posts, read 1,195,216 times
Default They're really great

My sister-in-law and a friend of mine both have them. I can say that they're really awesome. I believe my sister-in-law got hers from Armstrong flooring and they are superdurable, wear dirt well, have withstood a lot of abuse from my nephews and their cars and still look great. We definitely plan on using them if/when we ever find our dream home.

Last edited by omamia; 05-06-2007 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-07-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
One big down fall IMO is the fact that your furniture does not sit evenly on them. So if you have them in the kitchen be prepared to have a wobbly table!
That alone would drive me crazy! I'm the kind of person who is always folding up napkins and sugar packets to stick under the table legs at restaurants!

Does anyone know of a place where I can see a floor done with these distressed hardwoods? Is there a flooring store in the Raleigh area, or perhaps a model home?

So far the voting is 3 against them and 2 for them.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 PM

739 posts, read 831,964 times
We just sold a house for a little over $5M that had distressed 100+ year old oak and black walnut floors. They do look good. Try the following link:

http://www.wideplankflooring.com

Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 PM

238 posts, read 228,274 times
Hmm this link makes them look very pretty. That being said, I think they may go "out of style" or in 20 years make the house look older than it really is.

If you are interested in the distressed floors how about reclaimed wood? That is a green concept and there are places where you can buy planks from old barns, etc.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Try the following link:

http://www.wideplankflooring.com
Wow! Those are some nice looking floors. I looked at some of the pictures of walnut floors and I'll bet the planks were 12" wide. If I had a $5M home, I think that I could afford them, but I'll bet that they are too rich for my blood. Thanks for the link Buckhead_Broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House