Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:36 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,613,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
If you are interested in the distressed floors how about reclaimed wood? That is a green concept and there are places where you can buy planks from old barns, etc.
Well, I wasn't interested in going THAT distressed. If I was putting floors in my ski lodge in the mountains maybe (wishful thinking ), but not my suburbian house in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 05:45 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,303,045 times
I too like the look of distressed floors, but aside from the cost I would be concerned about what they would look like should you ever have them refinished down the road. I imagine the sanding process required to refinish wood floors would smooth out all the texture that giv the floors their distressed look.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I too like the look of distressed floors, but aside from the cost I would be concerned about what they would look like should you ever have them refinished down the road. I imagine the sanding process required to refinish wood floors would smooth out all the texture that giv the floors their distressed look.
The guy at the store told us that you'd have to have them sanded by hand. $$$

On the bright side, any damage to the floors would only add to the distressed look. You'd only need to refinish them if you didn't like the color or something.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:42 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,026,148 times
Default Love Them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'm shopping for hardwood floors to replace the carpeted areas of our house. I've noticed some interesting styles in the showrooms that are referred to as "hand-scraped", or "distressed". Has anyone seen these styles of hardwoods in any houses? They look kinda cool, but I'm not sure they'd look as cool if they were covering a large area. Do they tend to be used in smaller rooms? Are they becoming the "in" thing? Will they go the way of sponge-painted walls and be out of style in 5 years? Have you seen any model homes in the Raleigh area with these hardwoods? I'd like to take a look at them installed instead of just a few square feet in a showroom.
Personally I love them. I live in MA (planning to move to NC soon, hopefully). I have seen them in a few very high end homes in MA (we're talking $3M and up homes) and in very large rooms (great rooms actually). Just as the name states the floors are hand scraped (literally a guy or two on the floor hand scaping them). If done right they look GORGEOUS! My suggestion would be to ask the showroom if they can help you locate a home that has them to see first hand what they look like.

It's a personal choice and not everyone is going to like them so if you plan on selling your home in 2 years you're probably better off getting regular hardwood floors.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:45 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,026,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
If you are interested in the distressed floors how about reclaimed wood? That is a green concept and there are places where you can buy planks from old barns, etc.
Can you recommend some places that specialize in reclaimed floors? I love this idea.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 PM

19 posts, read 58,986 times
www.antiqueandvintagewoods.com

Reclaimed lumber is amazing. They dive for logs that were sunk in the log drive 100+yrs ago and you can get amazing widths. Check out this site

Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 PM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Can you recommend some places that specialize in reclaimed floors? I love this idea.
These floors are beautiful.

These folks recycle old warehouse and mill beams into flooring:
http://www.heartwoodpine.com/index.asp?PAGE=home (broken link)

The owner is a good feller, and you can tell him I said so.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:55 AM

I'm bumping this thread back up to the top.

We went to Home Depot yesterday and asked for someone to come out and measure our house for hardwoods. They have this one wood in stock that was amost perfect, but it is this "distressed" style. Not too distressed, but still. . . .

The only thing that my wife and I have reservations about is it going out of style in 5-10 years and really dating the house. We wanted to find something more traditional, but we just couldn't find a wood that we both liked in our price range.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 22,919 times
Just curious if anyone knows how I can find lumber reclaimed from tobacco warehouses? Don't know much about it, but have heard that it's been done and want more info about it. Thanks for sharing if you know!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:29 PM

331 posts, read 1,127,461 times
Distressed hardwoods are GREAT. I'm kind of clumsy and tend to drop things so I might as well have flooring that is supposed to look beaten up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House