Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,505,011 times

Advertisements

@ 10 years you should start saving for a new one. After 15 years consider yourself lucky. That's not saying with preventative maintenance and a competent tech it can't last longer but with your guy telling you to put bleach in your drain pan I'd be suspect of the latter. He may not know about chlorine liquid and what happens when it reacts with things like ammonia, like from urine or sweat, but you know what G.I. Joe says. Knowing is half the battle. By the way smelling chlorine at the pool should have a whole new meaning now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,908,655 times
I am in the desert, and use only smallest window units, and a swamp cooler on wheels in the house. Both units are old, but good on power. Electric bill rarely over 35 bux, including cooking, etc.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,151,667 times
Save up and see if you can't get one that qualifies for a tax rebate. I would think in AZ you spend a good bit on A/C and as Big John says your unit is getting long in the tooth.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Bleach with water in the pan line is no problem but you should also use a shop vacuum to check the line. It only drips when the coil is laeking and the pan needs to be check for crud also becaus eits dry unless their is a problem. the coil line usually goes to a hpuse plumbing drian line.Usually it has a joint that can be vacuumed once a year. My unit is 18 years old. I just replaced the indide coil. The outside unit I clean the debre very year and wassh the coils evry time I cut grass as my air ciopndition man said. He says it looks good for more years. the cooling fins being dirty plus croroded its his most often seen problem he says as a unit ages because of neglect.

Last edited by texdav; 07-29-2009 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 08:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,505,011 times
Much of that unreliability comes as a side-effect to making them more efficient. Less mass means faster heat transfer.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 34,936 times
If you can find a reliable ac company that will stand behind their equipment and takes care of their customers start saving and do more research on brands and local dealers. You will likely save 20-40 percent on your electric bill with a new unit. My last customer told me they are saving a whooping 150 a month and the unit will pay for itself in 3 years. My opinion fin a company that carries a brand that has 10 year parts and labor not many do it. The average unit will last an average 10 years these days they say. Ride out the old one as long as you can. Until then research and save save save

Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,945,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
No, this is not a window unit. This is a big one that sits outside on the ground.

We don't have a lot of disposable income.. which is why I am asking is it really worth it. Apparently he thinks we are just going to pull money out of our butts or something, who knows darn men
Like the saying goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it "

Old 08-03-2009, 06:33 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I am in the desert, and use only smallest window units, and a swamp cooler on wheels in the house. Both units are old, but good on power. Electric bill rarely over 35 bux, including cooking, etc.
In all fairness: Kingman being at least 3,300' it is ca. 8-10 degrees cooler than here in the Phx area and too it gets hot later in the day along with cooling off faster as well.

Plus; that same 10 degree lower difference is huge where swamp coolers are concerned meaning you can run them virtually all summer in comfort.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:40 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,913,740 times
If you guy’s only complaint is that it makes too loud ~ is it normal or noisy? If there is an issue that some maintenance work will correct inexpensively then I’d go for fixing that. I was having a noisy rattle with my unit but all that was needed was to replace and tighten some screws. There could be a simple lite maintenance issue that will quiet the system and make everyone happy plus save some money.

Newer is better for energy use and a money saver but get a few more years of service out of the unit you have first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House