Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 PM

134 posts, read 1,222,255 times

Advertisements

I'm on the home stretch with my new home and the builder has installed Goodman units which upon reading reviews I've told them I will not accept. Has anyone here had experience with this brand? It seemed for every good review there were at least three bad ones though most seemed to be a couple years old but I can't imagine they have improved much since then. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I'm on the home stretch with my new home and the builder has installed Goodman units which upon reading reviews I've told them I will not accept. Has anyone here had experience with this brand? It seemed for every good review there were at least three bad ones though most seemed to be a couple years old but I can't imagine they have improved much since then. Thanks.
My house has a Goodman unit that's self contained outside...meaning the return is outside to reduce noise. I've never had a problem with it and it's 10 years old. I found out that Goodman is part of Amana Corporation so you should be fine. Is this unit just a central a/c unit or heat pump?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:23 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,583,498 times
I just had a Goodman installed by my home warranty company (approx. 4 months ago), well former warranty company. I've had no problems and I've seen a substantial reduction in my electric bill as well.

It was supposed to come with a 10yr warranty but the stupid installer and home warranty company didn't leave me with the paperwork, so now because I didn't register it by the deadline, I only have a 5yr warranty

But no complaints thus far.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
My house has a Goodman unit that's self contained outside...meaning the return is outside to reduce noise. I've never had a problem with it and it's 10 years old. I found out that Goodman is part of Amana Corporation so you should be fine. Is this unit just a central a/c unit or heat pump?
The two units are outside with the standard furnaces in the attic setup. I'm not having any success yet with having them exchanged for something else and if I end up having to keep them I sincerely hope I have no problem with them. My a/c servicer is of the opinion the Goodman is the worst one could have. I'd rather have them changed but if I am stuck with them I guess I will just have to hope for the best.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
I just had a Goodman installed by my home warranty company (approx. 4 months ago), well former warranty company. I've had no problems and I've seen a substantial reduction in my electric bill as well.

It was supposed to come with a 10yr warranty but the stupid installer and home warranty company didn't leave me with the paperwork, so now because I didn't register it by the deadline, I only have a 5yr warranty

But no complaints thus far.
That's unfair that the negligence of someone else reduces your warranty by 50%. I'd be fighting that one as it just doesn't seem fair. What was the deadline that was missed? The installation took place last Thursday and closing will not be until the end of the month or first week of November. I certainly would expect the full warranty as anything less would leave me feeling as if someone is trying to get out of backing up their product.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,914 times
Goodman (of Houston) was bought by Amanaa few yrs back. Doesn't make them any better than they were before. Which was mediocre.

They are common, builder grade stuff. The reason you see so much about them is that there are so many builder grade units about, esp. with the housing boom tha past 5 yrs.

I would not want one in my new home.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBilly View Post
Goodman (of Houston) was bought by Amanaa few yrs back. Doesn't make them any better than they were before. Which was mediocre.

They are common, builder grade stuff. The reason you see so much about them is that there are so many builder grade units about, esp. with the housing boom tha past 5 yrs.

I would not want one in my new home.
Thanks, KBilly. I'm doing what I can to try to get this changed now.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 PM

733 posts, read 4,656,006 times
Default Goodman A/C Compressors

I've got 4 of them in a commercial office building. 13 years on each unit. No problems whatsoever. My HVAC guy told me back then that Goodman units and somebody else were exactly the same. I don't remember who, but back then I did - went to the brand name distributor and found out he distributed Goodman, too. Asked them point blank what the difference was. Price. Period. Looked at a Goodman side by side with - was it Trane? - and the ONLY difference was the nameplate and paint color - specs, capacities, etc. were all the same. Physical layout, sheet metal, etc. were the same. I then accepted what the HVAC guy told me - and have no problems and substantial cost savings. Oh, it gets hotter than the hubs of he-- here in the summer. Then they freeze outside for 4 months. Appear to be pretty tough.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,583,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
That's unfair that the negligence of someone else reduces your warranty by 50%. I'd be fighting that one as it just doesn't seem fair. What was the deadline that was missed? The installation took place last Thursday and closing will not be until the end of the month or first week of November. I certainly would expect the full warranty as anything less would leave me feeling as if someone is trying to get out of backing up their product.
Yeah I know. Well the thing is, partly husbands fault He was home when they did the install. I was traveling and pretty hectic and it was about a week later that I thought to ask about the paperwork. He then decides to tell me how he forgot and told the guy to take the box with the old ac and dispose of it - didn't think about paperwork (typical man).

I called installer, left a message for them to bring me paperwork; then as usual my life got hectic. Long story short, I did make a few calls to both home warranty company and installer - time continued to pass. other things going on, finally approx. 4 months later, i called goodman directly and they said that the home warranty company should have actually registered it and I think he said within 1 month of purchase. i didn't argue about it, he was actually very nice, but it is what it is. I figure the home warranty company wasn't concerned, because the same month that the ac went out was the same month my warranty was expiring with them and I didn't renew So i suppose had I renewed, they would have done their due diligence, but since I didn't, they didn't care.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 55,729 times
Angry terrible problems with Goodman

When I bought my house seven years ago, I was delighted that the heating and air system was only two years old. I assumed that it would work well for at least 15 years. I have added freon every summer, have replaced the condenser and two coils, and a third coil is leaking badly. The company refuses to warrant coils after 1 year and is uninterested in doing anything to correct what is obviously a quality control problem. The dealer that installed the system has long since gone out of business: it is a shame that this is not also true of the manufacturer!I would NEVER buy a house with a Goodman system again, and am replacing this one with a Trane tomorrow at a cost of $10,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House