Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times

Advertisements

I've read a book on tiling, but I'm still not sure I've thought everything through..
In our bathroom, there is vinyl flooring which goes up to, but not under the baseboards. There is toe moulding over the edge, which we would remove. If, as the book says, we remove the vinyl, and use 1/2" cement board over the subfloor, wouldn't this 1. come too far up the baseboards, and 2. make a huge elevation difference at the door opening?
Is it possible to just tile over the vinyl flooring, or do we have to remove the vinyl and put in the cement board? If so, what happens at the threshold (where it meets carpet)?
I don't think we want to do the project if we must take off all the baseboards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 02:16 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,755,739 times
Take up the vinyl, but don't use cement board. Schulter makes a great uncoupling membrane called Ditra. The tile will raise your floor level, no matter what you do. You'll need to adjust the toilet flange to account for that. If you are lucky, you might be able to get away with just using a wax ring with a flange, but generally, you want the plumbing flange to be level with the floor. As far as the threshold, you buy a marble threshold and install that with the tile. As far as the baseboards, how tall are they? If you have tall baseboards, you could just tile up to them, use the shoe mold to cover the gap, and deal with them being 1/2" shorter than before.

My two cents - google 'john bridge forum' and read up over there. They know a lot over there and can give you really good advise. But reading what you wrote, I'd be more concerned with the toilet flange than the baseboards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House