Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times

Advertisements

I have a house that's about 50 years old, the linoleum in the kitchen isn't in the greatest of shape, and it's quite dated. I want to put in tile, but I've tried in different corners to get the linoleum up and it doesn't want to go. It's glued directly to the subfloor. Can I tile over the linoleum, or am I going to have to hire someone to tear up the linoleum?

DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
miracle board?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,764,580 times
I wouldn't tile over it!! I just don't think you'll get the adhesion needed to keep the tiles in place long term. Is this sheet linoleum or linoleum tiles? I'm a total DIYer myself. If it's sheet linoleum, I'd cut through it in a cross hatch pattern somewhere a good distance from the wall. That will give you some corners that you can really pry on away from the walls so you can get leverage on it. Once you get it started it will probably come up fairly easily. Any chunks that don't come up can be scraped off with a straight blade. If it's linoleum tile, you SHOULD be able to pry up one or more of them with a good strong putty knife or thin blade chisel. Once you one or more of them up then the rest should pry off fairly easily. Is your subfloor a slab or plywood? If it's a slab then you could try to break up one of the linoleum tiles with a hammer to get it started.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,760,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I have a house that's about 50 years old, the linoleum in the kitchen isn't in the greatest of shape, and it's quite dated. I want to put in tile, but I've tried in different corners to get the linoleum up and it doesn't want to go. It's glued directly to the subfloor. Can I tile over the linoleum, or am I going to have to hire someone to tear up the linoleum?

DC
If it's firmly affixed to the subfloor, don't take it up. Lino that old can very well contain asbestos so it's better to just leave it if you can. Since you want to tile, just get a good backerboard for floors and either nail, screw, or glue that down directly onto the old floor (make sure it's clean so that your glue will adhere). Make sure your floor is flat first, though. If not, you'll have to use a premixed leveling compound before you put down the backer board.

After that, lay tile as normal. Easy!

Last edited by RoaminRed; 01-02-2008 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Typo!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:27 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,967,795 times
I've seen good tile jobs over linoleum. If it is well adhered I don't see a problem tiling right over it except that level of the floor goes up a bit.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:37 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,760,220 times
I'd put down backer board first just to be sure. Especially since it's old linoleum, you don't know if it will eventually start to come up. If you've screwed down proper substrate over it first, you're never going to have a problem because it is sealed in and cannot come up.

It's only a few more dollars and a few hours work to prep it right.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,266,888 times
Asbestos is a real possibility in flooring that old. In bad shape means you have to either get it up or put an underlayment over it. Do you mean ceramic tile? - everyone is assuming you do.

The tile backer board is a good option. Level the floor with floor leveling compound and then level the backerboard and seams with thinset before you lay the tile. Also, be sure the floor is solid enough to not flex or the grout lines will crack. The thickness may mean you will have to raise the doors.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:04 PM

318 posts, read 727,553 times
My husband and I tiled over linoleum back in CA. Sandpaper was used to rough up the floor. Not sure on the product, but there was an additive to the thinset when setting the tile. Never had a problem with it. Our house was built in the late 70's so we did not have an asbestos issue. Good luck to you. It can be done.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
I had institutional restrooms with Armstrong Commercial Corlon Floors that we had tiled over... It's been 5 years and no trouble...

The vinyl was installed full spread over concrete and remains firmly attached.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Thanks, everyone, for the input. It is linoleum tiles and I tried at the doorway to pry some up, I get pieces because it cracks. The house is built over a crawlspace, not on a slab, I'm worried that a)there could be an asbestos issue; or b) that in trying to get up the linoleum I end up damaging the subfloor and getting into even more expense. I just want to put in a nice, neutral ceramic tile. When I bought the house, the blue-streaked faux marble plastic countertops in the kitchen really bothered me, but since I've had those replaced, the gold and brown speckled linoleum has become more and more of an issue. So thanks to everyone again!

DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House