Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 26,400 times

Advertisements

We're doing a renovation/addition to our home in Madison and will be replacing our electric water heater with a gas model. We're considering going with a Rinnai tankless water heater. Does anyone have experience with these, particularly in Madison? Performance, cost to operate, etc. I know there are scaling issues with hard water, but it looks to me like they can be alleviated with a simple yearly flushing with vinegar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
I too looked into Tankless until I found out our hard water is a water
heater killer. Tankless in our area just don't last very long nor work
very due to the lime build up.

Best thing to do is check with you local state ag extension office about
how hard the water is where you live. Tankless will work with not so hard
but since they are so expensive it's better to use glass lined quality
heaters and replace them about every 5>10 years.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I too looked into Tankless until I found out our hard water is a water
heater killer. Tankless in our area just don't last very long nor work
very due to the lime build up.

Best thing to do is check with you local state ag extension office about
how hard the water is where you live. Tankless will work with not so hard
but since they are so expensive it's better to use glass lined quality
heaters and replace them about every 5>10 years.

What about a water softener upstream of the water heater?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 PM

205 posts, read 590,019 times
deja vu?
All water heaters have problems with hard water. Tanked ones have a scarificial metal strip inside of them that attracts the corrosion. When that is gone, you either have to replace the strip or the water heater. If you do a yearly flush of tankless water heaters with a vinegar & water solution, you won't have the scale build up. If you get a tankless, be sure to get a GAS tankless water heater. Rinnai is a good one... there are better, but they cost more. Another thing to consider is where you put it, because venting a Rinnai costs a lot because the ducting is doubled... a vent within a vent, one for air intake and one for outgoing gases. If you can vent directly thru a wall outdoors from inside, you will be in pretty good shape. On the other hand, if you stick it in a basement and want to go all the way up to the roof, it can easily cost you as much as the heater.
Our Habitat for Humanity homes are getting them. The first is just over a year old, and has been working without problems.
For a retrofit, are you putting it inside or outside? If outside, the enclosure is quite large.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 17,875 times
If you are worried about hard water and corrosion you should check out the Eternal hybrid system. Its self cleaning and has a 20-year warranty. Plus, you still get the tax credit. I work with them and its a pretty cool system that combines both tank and tankless.

Its worth a look at least - Eternal hybrid: the world's first and most advanced hybrid water heating system

Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM

262 posts, read 781,723 times
If you run the numbers it is hard to justify the costs particularly with Rinnai's which are only offered thru dealers. If you are commited to the concept maybe you should consider a tankless heater but not a Rinnai brand

Old 06-10-2009, 08:22 AM

205 posts, read 590,019 times
Usually Rinnai is offered at substancial savings thru municipal programs (about 1/2 price). The hybrid models are great, though! I haven't seen them yet. I would be careful of off-brands like they sell at the big box stores...they usually have bad reviews, are cheaper, and less reliable.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:24 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quick question for Rinnai owners. How long before you got the code 'LC' indicating you should flush your heat exchanger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House