Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:07 AM

186 posts, read 848,535 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a house that is owned by an engineer. He says when he moved in he had the water tested extensively, more so than is typically done. He found MTBE in the water and informed the state (NH). The state came in an installed a very impressive looking filtration system and paid for several years of annual testing to ensure it was effective. After several years of effective operation, the state no longer wishes to pay for it and says the water is safe.

Aside from paying to have it tested again, is there anything I should be concerned about beyond this? Does the presence of MTBE suggest some kind of serious environmental issue in the area? Someone suggested that it could be from when the development was being setup and they were cutting down trees, which probably required gasoline driven power saws.

I just want to know if beyond the water filtration system there is something else I should be worried about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatosoup View Post
I'm looking at a house that is owned by an engineer. He says when he moved in he had the water tested extensively, more so than is typically done. He found MTBE in the water and informed the state (NH). The state came in an installed a very impressive looking filtration system and paid for several years of annual testing to ensure it was effective. After several years of effective operation, the state no longer wishes to pay for it and says the water is safe.

Aside from paying to have it tested again, is there anything I should be concerned about beyond this? Does the presence of MTBE suggest some kind of serious environmental issue in the area? Someone suggested that it could be from when the development was being setup and they were cutting down trees, which probably required gasoline driven power saws.

I just want to know if beyond the water filtration system there is something else I should be worried about?
No.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:48 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether. It is listed as a possible carcinogen, OSHA believes that the acceptable occupational exposure limit is 100 milligrams per cubic meter, which is actually fairly high. If you are concerned, get it tested again but if you can't detect any odd taste or odor (MTBE has a distinct "gasoline-ish" smell) it is doubtful that you are at risk. The state isn't very likely to stick its neck out for highest-order litigation, either.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether. It is listed as a possible carcinogen, OSHA believes that the acceptable occupational exposure limit is 100 milligrams per cubic meter, which is actually fairly high. If you are concerned, get it tested again but if you can't detect any odd taste or odor (MTBE has a distinct "gasoline-ish" smell) it is doubtful that you are at risk. The state isn't very likely to stick its neck out for highest-order litigation, either.
Right, although according to Wikipedia's entry, the WHO says there is no conclusive data on health risks for low exposure to MTBE, while there is consensus that high exposure is a risk. So lack of evidence of danger is not evidence of lack of danger, no?

Also does this mean it would not be safe to garden and grow vegetables? Even if the water system is filtered, who's to say the soil is safe to eat from? Is there a way to test the soil for MTBE?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatosoup View Post
Right, although according to Wikipedia's entry, the WHO says there is no conclusive data on health risks for low exposure to MTBE, while there is consensus that high exposure is a risk. So lack of evidence of danger is not evidence of lack of danger, no?

Also does this mean it would not be safe to garden and grow vegetables? Even if the water system is filtered, who's to say the soil is safe to eat from? Is there a way to test the soil for MTBE?
The state is likely to have a bunch of paperwork on file over this, including a search for possible contaminant source. It's most likely part of a ground water plume from a known point source, rather than, say, a surface dump. But if you check with them, you'll find out.

It's not difficult to get soil samples tested, but it can be expensive, IF you have to hire a mitigation firm to do it. I'd start with the state and go from there.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The state is likely to have a bunch of paperwork on file over this, including a search for possible contaminant source. It's most likely part of a ground water plume from a known point source, rather than, say, a surface dump. But if you check with them, you'll find out.

It's not difficult to get soil samples tested, but it can be expensive, IF you have to hire a mitigation firm to do it. I'd start with the state and go from there.
Thanks, I am awaiting the test results to be sent to me from the state's earlier testing. When you say soil testing can be expensive, roughly how expensive is it and how often does it have to be done?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Might want to walk away if you don't own it

I would not be winking at the problem.

Sure would not want it if not already mine.

Usual source is something like a buried gasoline storage tank at a service station. If it is a contamination that has traveled thru the earth, you definitely want to be understanding that situation. Saying it might be some type of massive dose over a long time. Has happened all over the country from service station tank leaks. I would be looking elsewhere.

Yeah some lumber jack spilled two drops when fueling a chain saw. Sounds like your typical real estate agent bull. Maybe you also have had midnight dumping, lots of that happening in jolly old New England.

Sounds like the type of problem everybody else wishes would go away but they don't got to take the risk of drinking the water. I would not be quick to make the problem mine.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I would not be winking at the problem.

Sure would not want it if not already mine.

Usual source is something like a buried gasoline storage tank at a service station. If it is a contamination that has traveled thru the earth, you definitely want to be understanding that situation. Saying it might be some type of massive dose over a long time. Has happened all over the country from service station tank leaks. I would be looking elsewhere.

Yeah some lumber jack spilled two drops when fueling a chain saw. Sounds like your typical real estate agent bull. Maybe you also have had midnight dumping, lots of that happening in jolly old New England.

Sounds like the type of problem everybody else wishes would go away but they don't got to take the risk of drinking the water. I would not be quick to make the problem mine.
You've made me rethink it. I guess the question is, how many people have this problem but don't know it? Most water tests do not include MTBE testing, do they? The person who owns this house is an environmental engineer and went to the nth degree to get the water tested. Unfortunately it appears that he did this *after* he closed on the house.

So I wonder, should all future water tests that I do include the MTBE test? Sounds like it should.

Thanks for your perspective. I think I'm going to pass on this. Too many issues to consider, and too much risk with unknowns.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:59 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Is this house next door to a gas station? Or in some other industrial area? Is this MTBE contamination in a private well, or are we talking city water?
I wouldn't buy it, don't just walk away, run.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Is this house next door to a gas station? Or in some other industrial area? Is this MTBE contamination in a private well, or are we talking city water?
I wouldn't buy it, don't just walk away, run.
It's in a very expensive development in Sea Coast NH. There are no gas stations nearby that I'm aware of, at least not right nearby, although it's not that far from Route 101, a 2 lane highway. It is a drilled well.

I guess I'm sort of torn. If it were a major issue, then the state of NH would have probably said so, no? Should I wait to see the test results that show the MTBE levels after the filtration system was installed? Or do some folks think it's not even worth the hassle at this point.

What's weird is that the owner says they notified other people in the development, but I have no idea if those people had their water tested. Some might not even be aware of it. Kind of scary to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House