Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,546,304 times

Advertisements

we are moving to an area with hard water, but would like to avoid the salt-based systems, if a legitimate alternative exists. We have seen commercials for Easy water (EasyWater No Salt Water Softeners - Water Conditioners) and can't tell if it is legit or not.

they have very little practical info on their website, but just enough that it sounds vaguely plausible. However, its about 2x as expensive as the highest end salt-based system.

Anyone have it, use it, or know about it? Any comments/advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
No idea about this one. We looked into a lot of the no salt systems. They turned out to be shams. Maybe this is an exception. We went with a Kinetico softener. They use considerably less salt than typical systems, but they are insanely expensive. Now we have city water that is very soft.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 30,944 times
Like you I have pretty hard water at my home too. I have an Easywater and it is legit. I had lots of hard water buildup on my showerhead and appliances and the Easywater took care of it. I still have some water spots in the shower, like they said I would, but they are so easy to clean off.

I also love the no salt. My water doesn’t feel exactly the same as when I had a salt softener, but its okay. I don’t have a slimy feeling anymore while taking a shower.

When we first looked into the system we looked at the cost too, but when we calculated how much we would spend on salt, extra backwash water and installation for a salt softener we realized that the one time expense of the Easywater was worth it. Plus it has no maintenance; we haven’t had to think about it since we installed it.

We are very happy with our easywater.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
What ever system you chose be sure you have the water flow to run it. Let the water run over night. Then check your gallons per minute. I use a five gallon bucket.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,779,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What ever system you chose be sure you have the water flow to run it. Let the water run over night. Then check your gallons per minute. I use a five gallon bucket.
Not sure of your meaning; compatible PSI or volume?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Not sure of your meaning; compatible PSI or volume?
Volume. I have made many service calls for low water pressure. When I asked what changed sometimes they have add a water softener. Some older wells just do not pump enough water. Also some areas of the US.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,775 times
Fortunately I do not live where there is hard water. Approx.65 mmhos here.
[I use an Ion exchange unit to finish cleaning the drinking water to triple distilled quality]. UMMMMM.
If I did use a softner, I certainly would not drink it without cleaning it up first. Sure it will cost you some extra money but it is worth every penny in the long run.
Other wise just consider yourself a "bottom dweller"
Steam distillation or an Ion exchange with carbon blocks pre and post, or reverse osmosis will all do the job.
Inorganic minerals and other bad stuff in ground water. UKKKKK!

Silverfox

Old 05-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Fortunately I do not live where there is hard water. Approx.65 mmhos here.
[I use an Ion exchange unit to finish cleaning the drinking water to triple distilled quality]. UMMMMM.
If I did use a softner, I certainly would not drink it without cleaning it up first. Sure it will cost you some extra money but it is worth every penny in the long run.
Other wise just consider yourself a "bottom dweller"
Steam distillation or an Ion exchange with carbon blocks pre and post, or reverse osmosis will all do the job.
Inorganic minerals and other bad stuff in ground water. UKKKKK!

Silverfox
I guess that makes me a "bottom dweller". We have good water. 5" PVC wells are great!!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
I have asked this question before (without seeing an answer) and will again... what it wrong with the softeners that use salt? It is my understanding it is simply an ion exchange process that goes not introduce salt into the water.

We stayed in a home with one for an extended period and enjoyed the water with no negatives noted.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:19 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have asked this question before (without seeing an answer) and will again... what it wrong with the softeners that use salt? It is my understanding it is simply an ion exchange process that goes not introduce salt into the water.

We stayed in a home with one for an extended period and enjoyed the water with no negatives noted.
Some have an issue with the sodium that is in the water from salt conditioners. It does not remove organic solvents or heavy metal contaminates if they are a problem. That's why it is an issue for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House