Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 02:59 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,216 times

Advertisements

What are the benefits of powerwashing a house's exterior made of hardiplank (and brick)? I'm not planning on having it painted.

In the Raleigh, NC area many folks have their homes powerwashed after the pollen season in the spring. Windows included, but I'm just wondering what benefit it holds for the Hardiplank.

someone once told me that it would be like never washing your car. But I'm not sure what that meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 03:26 PM

169 posts, read 1,489,409 times
pressure washing will make the house look better and in certain cases it will restore the sidings by washing the dirt,pollen, mold etc. off. if one is allergic to pollen then pressure washing after spring will help removing the allergens. i live in raleigh but there are quite a few people on my street pressure washes the exterior every year.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:41 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I'm not a big fan of pressurewashing, too much can go wrong. The mortar between bricks isn't terribly strong in some houses, and too much pressure could cause problems. I'd sooner use a hose end sprayer, some cleaner like spi - n - span, and maybe a brush on a handle.

To give you an idea of why you might consider washing, in south Florida our cement roof tiles had to be pressure washed fairly regularly to remove the pollen, dirt, soot from everglades fires, and sooty mold. Otherwise, they turned dark and molds could get a start. Similarly, the white top of my van roof was filthy within six to eight weeks after washing. Since we moved to rural Alabama, the top of my van roof has remained clean for over a year and a half, and when I finally washed the van this spring, it wasn't as dirty as it would have been in south Florida six weeks after washing. Air pollution affects houses as well as vehicles. If you live in a polluted area, washing can be a big benefit.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
ASs long as you use the right amount of poressure when not repainting it workds great and gets dirt that you would otherwise.That is the key ;using the right amount of pressure and a good wash solution.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,921 times
One should point out that POWERwashing and PRESSUREwashing are not in fact the same thing. Powerwashing does not use high pressure, and should be a safe method to clean brick or hardiplank, which is fiber cement board that does not hold water like hardboard.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM

432 posts, read 3,659,021 times
I've used my pressure washer to move dirt from the concrete foundation and hardie board. It does a great job. Just make sure to keep the nozzle at least a foot off of the surface to prevent etching, and it will make it look like new! I even pressure washed a portion of brick and mortar that was getting dirty and it did a great job, did not damage the mortar at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House