Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:48 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,863,870 times

Advertisements

I dislike being stuck in a building for much of the day, I need a yard to get outside and enjoy some flowers or grass or butterflies, anything but four walls. I NEED a house with a yard. And personally I'd prefer pay someone the 200 bucks to take care of my own yard if that ever came to be than to pay a fee to a condo association and have none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 01:39 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,679,302 times
Default House>Townhouse>House

We lived in a small house for the years the children were growing up. After a divorce, I decided I didn't want to be tied to cutting the lawn and gardening, and shoveling snow, and cleaning the pool so I bought a large townhouse. After 11 years, I got fed up with the "pansie patrol" who told you what flowers you could have in your window boxes, how many lights you could have on your porch around the holidays and paying a high maintenance fee ($385/month). If you had a problem and brought it before the board, all you were told is, "we will take it under consideration." The management company and the board were clueless regarding budgets and we were "special assessed" everytime there was a problem. I swear I will NEVER live under communist rule again!
Now I live on several acres and if I get to the point I am unable to care for it, I will hire someone.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
To me condos are too much like apartments in that they can have the same problems with noise etc.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:58 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,842,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post

To me condos are too much like apartments...
Condos are apartments.

The difference between “condos” and “apartments” exists in the legal documents and the owners perceptions, not in the building.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 PM

83 posts, read 259,585 times
I hoped to live in a condo but as I see it now it's not a practical thing to do..

Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,200,650 times
Every condo association is different. You hear so many horror stories about fees, assessements, etc...
When i looked for real estate (as a single female).. I wanted a house with a yard. I looked at several houses but realized they needed work - which took money and manpower... which i had neither.. I am not about to take a weekend and re-paint my house and I can't afford to pay someone to do it.

So I looked at Townhomes.. Found one with my own private yard.. a garage.. nice and big, in a great community, its quiet. I do have neighbors and don't technically share a wall (construction wise) but I do hear them every so often.

The association fees... depend on the age of the community and the ammeneities. I got on my HOA board ASAP after moving in. So I know where my money is going.. (there are a LOT Of things behind the scenes that people don't realize - as to the cost of the things). - and the assessments = you can have your own insurance (similar to a renters policy) that actually protects you against assessments.. ..

Condos/townhomes aren't for everyone - its a choice that you need to make based on your lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House