Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,712,787 times

Advertisements

We've been in the house about 8 months now and I have to seal my back deck. Having never had to do this before (I wasn't in the old house long enough for this to be required) I have to ask the stupid question - is it really as simple as I would think it would be? Just get some sealer from the hardware store and paint it on?

As the deck is still new (never been sealed previously) is there anything special I should be aware of when doing this for the first time?

Any recommendations for a brand of seal to use (or not use)? I just need a clear seal - no staining will be involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,205,593 times
You may want to check up on cleaning it first... depending on the age/appearance of the wood it may brighten it up some prior to sealing. If you do clean it, be careful if using a power washer, those things will tear up wood if the pressure is too high or the nozzle is too close to the decking surface.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:39 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,418,962 times
Thompson's Water Seal is the way to go if you want a clear sealant.

Let me know if you want some help. I demand good beer, though.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,807,132 times
There's some good companies that do it for a nice price, they will almost always clean the deck first with some sort of treatment chemical, and then treat it with a water repellant.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:38 AM

876 posts, read 3,796,142 times
if you weren't so far away I'd come out and do it for you.

Thompson's Advance, a little more money, but lasts a bit longer. Just regular clear. Rent a pressure cleaner, spray it down, let it dry. Then get an airless sprayer (they are $$$) or you can use a cheap bug sprayer (you are gonna use it once and throw it away) and spray the sealant on the wood. Get an old push broom to spread the sealer around to make sure you get all the areas.

I've dont this MANY times. Also, I have never had a pressure washer chew up wood. I use a 3500psi pressure washer and it works like a charm.

Goodluck and PM if u have anymore questions!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the responses!

Hooligan - I may take you up on that offer, of course with good beer included (I'm not making you any Old Fashioneds tho )

Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,418,962 times
Lazy! I'll make my own if you supply the bourbon.

Pretty sure we can rent a pressure washer from Lowe's. Your deck is new enough that I wouldn't worry about it damaging the wood...

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

26 posts, read 88,175 times
OK...so if all it takes to get some help with this deck thing is some beer and bourbon then I AM IN..Name your brand Seriously though I also need my deck (which is probably 15ish years old) pressure washed and stained too. How much do those companies you know usually charge for that?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderson13 View Post
OK...so if all it takes to get some help with this deck thing is some beer and bourbon then I AM IN..Name your brand
That's where the new economy is headed - back to the good ol' barter system - if you're willing to come paint my dining room, I'll trade you three chickens and a bushel of corn

Old 03-25-2009, 08:26 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,906,887 times
All the advise is good. It is recommended that you wait until the wood has aged about a year. At around that point, you need to perform a test. Select a spot and pour a little water. The wood should absorb the water. If it doesn't it hasn't aged enough to seal.

Was off the deck and wait atleast 24 hours until completely dry. Be sure to seal when rain isn't in the forcast for at least 48 hours. Apply your sealant according to directions. I always use Thompson brand. Good luck. Wear some old clothes if you are a husband or your wife is likely to kick your @ss. Believe me, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House