Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 AM

286 posts, read 1,482,211 times

Advertisements

Driller1, the well is 925' deep or there about. Go back and reread their posts for more info.

Since you must ask you supplier, you obviously don't know much about pumps. Maybe this is based on your local or Michigan's heavy handedness but exactly what "approval" are you and your supplier asking about? All pumps meet NSF Standard 61 for potable water use.

And while I'm here, what would your health department have to do officially with a pipe blow out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 04:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
Driller1, the well is 925' deep or there about. Go back and reread their posts for more info.

Since you must ask you supplier, you obviously don't know much about pumps. Maybe this is based on your local or Michigan's heavy handedness but exactly what "approval" are you and your supplier asking about? All pumps meet NSF Standard 61 for potable water use.

And while I'm here, what would your health department have to do officially with a pipe blow out?
First Gary, let me say how mush I enjoy you, watch how much my rep goes up every time you attack me. Most people know I ask questions because all systems are not the same. I feel no pressure to know everything like you.

Please show me how much drop is in the well, I missed it. Does it make a difference, YES. The well is pumping out of water. This is why I asked the static water level. Maybe adding 20 foot would help.

No, all pumps are NOT NSF. Two years ago there was a lot put out on the market. Read trade journals much?? MKC Well Drilling in Mt. Pleasant put in over two hundred. They are out of business. We are still mopping up the mess. The brand, USA, yep, there is a joke.

What approval??? Size and design for intend use. THE WELL IS PUMPING. OFF!! Was this their intent? I think not. Is the DEQ heavy handed, yes! And God love them. You are just the people they have put out of business, and a few in jail.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Hey, Gary, I had rep hits from the post above!!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,011,227 times
Ok, thanks for the info...The Well driller called tonight, after I said I was going to call an attorney and said he would "order ANOTHER PUMP and talk about the problem". He keeps saying that the water line was frozen and that caused a blockage that made the well over pump...even thou we had 2 protection systems in place...
He also said ...galvanized pipe was no good do to the fact that the water had a high salt content??
We will get the water tested..

Jesh...what a mess...don't know what to do...called another driller for info waited to hear..

Hw and sunin hair out..
and thanks for all your information etc. you guys...

Old 01-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Ok, thanks for the info...The Well driller called tonight, after I said I was going to call an attorney and said he would "order ANOTHER PUMP and talk about the problem". He keeps saying that the water line was frozen and that caused a blockage that made the well over pump...even thou we had 2 protection systems in place...
He also said ...galvanized pipe was no good do to the fact that the water had a high salt content??

Jesh...what a mess...don't know what to do...called another driller for info waited to hear..

Hw and sunin hair out..
I was out working on frozen things all day. One was a 5" PVC well, 360 ft deep, 105 foot of drop, PVC. Static level 52 foot. Pumps 30 GPM. It was frozen where the line from the well goes into the pump house. They chose to use the pump house for the tank back when I drilled the well, not my first choice. They were SURE the pump was bad. I lifted the drop up about 10 foot and pumped it to show them it was not. The water was HOT from the pump running. That is the first time I have seen that!!! I thought of you folks.

We have salt water in some areas around here. It is hard on galvanized but, what could be worst than what you are going though??? Ask if he drilled deeper would you get more water?? Ask you health department.

As far as a lawsuit again, the health department could help document. Please let us know how this works out!!!! My best wishes, Driller1

Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM

Ask your driller about going with a SQE or constant pressure system.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 AM

286 posts, read 1,482,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post

Hw and sunin hair out..
Another pump is not going to prevent the problem UNLESS the present choice is undersized and can not pump water from the 925' setting depth. or as deep as the water level goes at peak demand usage.

If the pump is undersized and the water level falls far enough in the well that the pump is struggling to keep up, the motor will get hot and PVC will burst due to the heat derating the pressure rating.

He says "it froze" now after accusing you of shutting off the water flow, ask him what caused this same problem the first two times when freezing wasn't possible. He's avoiding responsibility and sounds too dumb to understand how deep he's digging himself in a hole that will end up costing him a lot more later than to own up now.

I would not allow the present pump to be reused or another pump until he proves his sizing by third party proof.

As far as "salt" in the water... have him show you a water analysis listing the "salt" content. He won't be able to because salt is sodium chloride so the lab will show sodium and then chlorides (there is no test for "salt" to my knowledge), two separate things and galvanized will last quite some time but, there is no other readily available material due to the depth of the pump (925') in a 955' deep well; period. BTW, all waters contain some sodium and chlorides.

If the water level is not falling to the point the pump can't keep up and gets hot, he probably added the low pressure cut off pressure switch to shut the pump off before the heat got to the PVC and caused it to burst. That would not protect the PVC. If that's why he aded teh safety switch, then that proves that he knows the pump is undersized and the PVC is likely to burst, which it has now three times.

He is jerking you around by not being totally candid and honest. He deserves to be reported and sued and you deserve what you paid $35,000 for, a working well water system.

Driller1, since you have never seen hot water from a submersible pump before but now know about it firsthand you should believe what I and others have been saying from the beginning of this thread. AND, you should wonder about the other things you don't know and won't believe until you see it for yourself. BTW, I have more reps from this thread than you got but I'm not running a popularity contest and I hadn't seen that until I looked after you mentioned it. I see I have many more I didn't know about too.

Also, what is the MCL (maximum contaminate level) for "salt" in groundwater (your health dept can tell you)?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
Another pump is not going to prevent the problem UNLESS the present choice is undersized and can not pump water from the 925' setting depth. or as deep as the water level goes at peak demand usage.

If the pump is undersized and the water level falls far enough in the well that the pump is struggling to keep up, the motor will get hot and PVC will burst due to the heat derating the pressure rating.

He says "it froze" now after accusing you of shutting off the water flow, ask him what caused this same problem the first two times when freezing wasn't possible. He's avoiding responsibility and sounds too dumb to understand how deep he's digging himself in a hole that will end up costing him a lot more later than to own up now.

I would not allow the present pump to be reused or another pump until he proves his sizing by third party proof.

As far as "salt" in the water... have him show you a water analysis listing the "salt" content. He won't be able to because salt is sodium chloride so the lab will show sodium and then chlorides (there is no test for "salt" to my knowledge), two separate things and galvanized will last quite some time but, there is no other readily available material due to the depth of the pump (925') in a 955' deep well; period. BTW, all waters contain some sodium and chlorides.

If the water level is not falling to the point the pump can't keep up and gets hot, he probably added the low pressure cut off pressure switch to shut the pump off before the heat got to the PVC and caused it to burst. That would not protect the PVC. If that's why he aded teh safety switch, then that proves that he knows the pump is undersized and the PVC is likely to burst, which it has now three times.

He is jerking you around by not being totally candid and honest. He deserves to be reported and sued and you deserve what you paid $35,000 for, a working well water system.

Driller1, since you have never seen hot water from a submersible pump before but now know about it firsthand you should believe what I and others have been saying from the beginning of this thread. AND, you should wonder about the other things you don't know and won't believe until you see it for yourself. BTW, I have more reps from this thread than you got but I'm not running a popularity contest and I hadn't seen that until I looked after you mentioned it. I see I have many more I didn't know about too.

Also, what is the MCL (maximum contaminate level) for "salt" in groundwater (your health dept can tell you)?
OK, how much drop was in this well?? BTW, I gave you the quick rep.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times
I've given both you guys reps at one time or another, and you both have a lot to contribute. I don't want to see a p*ssing match between guys working with schedule 120. That could get ugly..

Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've given both you guys reps at one time or another, and you both have a lot to contribute. I don't want to see a p*ssing match between guys working with schedule 120. That could get ugly..
I am a girl!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House