Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,358 times

Advertisements

We had our hardwood floors installed (professionally) and it was a site finish job. They installed the red oak and then it cured for 2 weeks and they did the sanding/staining etc. We vacated while doing the last part-due to the smell.
After completing the floor, I really have noticed where they used a nails in the wood. It is like certain pieces of wood have nail marks in the wood, and then it was sanded and stained, but you can see that these spots are manmade defects. I also have a few spots where there looks like a metal staple is in between pieces of wood-which is just WRONG, but these can be covered by rugs, so it is not too noticeable.
It is too late at this point to be repeaired, since the checks have been cashed and I don't think this company will be coming back, but I have never had hardwood flooring before (site finished) and had never noticed it in other houses, but I wasn't inspecting it to the extent that I am.
Please let me know...I'm curious if they just did a bad job or if this is normal. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,392 times
No, you should not see nails or staples in your hardwood floor. I'd try to contact the company and make a complaint.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
There will be flaws in olf wood reclimed for flooring. but new wood should nt have these things. The floor can easily replaced and you shoudl compain to the contractor.If they don't do anyhtig file with the BBB Al;so take oictures and consult a attroney iof not fixed.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,069 times
Quote:
After completing the floor, I really have noticed where they used a nails in the wood. It is like certain pieces of wood have nail marks in the wood, and then it was sanded and stained, but you can see that these spots are manmade defects.
You will usually see nails in the first row of wood planks they lay down. The reason for this is that the nail gun used for most of the flooring drives the nail in at an angle from the side of the board, forcing the new board being nailed up agasint the old one that is already in place. With the first row, there is nothing against which to anchor it (you can't put it DIRECTLY agaisnt the wall, but must leave a small bit of space) and so this first row needs to be nailed in from the top. Most good installers, though, will sink the nail head below the finish level, fill the hole with wood putty, and stain & seal it with the floor. Did your guys not do that?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,294,975 times
Yeah - What Bill said.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM

239 posts, read 1,092,358 times
The nails are sunk and sometimes there is wood putty, but I looked in the bathroom, and counted around 16 nails in a row. They did this in certain areas. Other areas the nail holes are visible, though they are buried. The little areas that look like a staple are not covered and look like shiny metal. ARRGGHH! I wanted perfect wood floors, and feel like we got a 1/2 (explative) job.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
I have had hard woods installed in three different homes . . . and have never seen nail hole or staples and would mad as heck if that had happened. You really do need to complain.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,294,975 times
You said professionally, but it doesn't sound like you god a professional job. Sounds like a phone call is in your future.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:01 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,069 times
Sounds to me like they knew what SHOULD be done, and only did it some of the time. Use that to your advantage. Show them the places you saw where they did it right, and demand they make all of it look that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House