Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,099,961 times

Advertisements

I did tell him that the clog was down in the first floor, I have done plumbing work myself. He knew it would take the power snake and he should have told me about any extra charges first. I most likely will pay the whole bill and use another plumber next time. I will also tell them why I will use another plumber next time. (By the way it took him a little less than 20 minutes to do the job, my wife did time him) and he charged me time driving from his shop. One and one half hours is what I'm being charged for. Plus 40 extra bucks for the snake. I can't see how that's fair. He also didn't tell me that the clock would start when he left the shop, I expected to pay for the time he worked with a one hour minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I did tell him that the clog was down in the first floor, I have done plumbing work myself. He knew it would take the power snake and he should have told me about any extra charges first. I most likely will pay the whole bill and use another plumber next time. I will also tell them why I will use another plumber next time. (By the way it took him a little less than 20 minutes to do the job, my wife did time him) and he charged me time driving from his shop. One and one half hours is what I'm being charged for. Plus 40 extra bucks for the snake. I can't see how that's fair.
Gas is expensive. A lot of plumbers are on a pretty slim margin to begin with and it isn't terribly unreasonable for him to have transportation costs covered.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:05 PM

43,431 posts, read 77,366,917 times
Let's quantify.

Sounds like about a $225 service call to me.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:05 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,413,390 times
I charge from when I leave the shop.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:27 PM

23,646 posts, read 70,634,905 times
I'm pretty fussy, but I would pay this bill without question. YMMV

Old 10-05-2008, 10:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,830,020 times
I've run the gamut with service people over many years and, in the process have found by watching that there is much I can do myself. I'm still learning. However, I've also wasted hours waiting for service from people who say they'll be here at a certain hour and either don't show up or show up a day later when I'm not on site and then have the temerity to ***** about it.

I do pay rather a lot for basic service but when the providers are here when they say they'll be here, it's worth it to me because my time is money too.

Cheers!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:25 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,557,100 times
I would say no rip off but yea the guy should have mentioned that using other equipment will run you more, just let it be water under the bridge main thing is did he do a good job, are you satisfied in the long run, anytime they have to bring in more equipment yup it's gonna run a bit more, the time starting from when he leaves shop is normal if others do differently you can bet they have it all figured in differently just not showing it.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:08 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,349,169 times
"my wife did time him"....It sounds like maybe he started off on the wrong foot with you. A bit of distrust on your part, maybe more than a bit.

When you tell him why you are going to use another plumber next time, he might have a sense of relief, or he may tell you not to bother calling him next time.

Complaining about charging for using a bigger piece of equipment.
Complaining about travel time. I'm surprised you didn't Google his location and complain that his travel time was too long and accuse him of stopping for coffee along the way.
Timing him on the job.
The basic attitude of him maybe ripping you off.

Sounds like someone I just couldn't wait to work for.
Sounds like someone I wouldn't work for a second time.

In almost twenty years of running my current business, I have "fired" a client only twice. While I drove away with no money for the day, I did have my dignity. Priceless!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,413,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
"my wife did time him"....It sounds like maybe he started off on the wrong foot with you. A bit of distrust on your part, maybe more than a bit.

When you tell him why you are going to use another plumber next time, he might have a sense of relief, or he may tell you not to bother calling him next time.

Complaining about charging for using a bigger piece of equipment.
Complaining about travel time. I'm surprised you didn't Google his location and complain that his travel time was too long and accuse him of stopping for coffee along the way.
Timing him on the job.
The basic attitude of him maybe ripping you off.

Sounds like someone I just couldn't wait to work for.
Sounds like someone I wouldn't work for a second time.

In almost twenty years of running my current business, I have "fired" a client only twice. While I drove away with no money for the day, I did have my dignity. Priceless!
Great post.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:10 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,358,223 times
I had the same thing happen before but the friggin' drain worked when he was done so I just paid him!! An extra $40.00 isn't that much to have the problem taken care of. IMO. He probably should have talked this over before he did the work but you did hire hime to fix the problem and he did fix the problem, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House