Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times

Advertisements

Do they work? Lets say against a rock...
Are they expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I think that you may be mistaking shatterproof glass with unbreakable glass (which doesn't exist). Shatterproof glass is the same as that in the windshield of your car, which is to say to panes of glass sandwiching a sticky layer of plastic in the middle. In the event a rock flies into the window the sticky layer in the middle holds most of the shards to it, resulting in a spiderweb of broken glass in the window pane and not very much on the floor.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
I'm thinking more along the line of the glass that is used in office buildings. They seem really durable.. what type of glass is that?

I'm pretty sure if I threw something at my office window right now it would bounce back without cracking the glass. I want that type of glass for my house.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
I'm thinking more along the line of the glass that is used in office buildings. They seem really durable.. what type of glass is that?

I'm pretty sure if I threw something at my office window right now it would bounce back without cracking the glass. I want that type of glass for my house.
I have seen the stuff you are talking about on TV shows, and it's pretty slick, but I'm betting you couldn't afford it in your lifetime...
there is also a burgler proof film you can place over your windows to prevent someone breaking a window and entering your home. I have seen it demonstrated, and it's pretty slick, however, the glass does break, but the film holds it all together to prevent entry. Also used in places that have hurricanes to prevent flying glass.
Do It Yourself Window Security Film, Hurricane Film, Laminate, Security Window Tint - Tampa, Florida One example....

Old 07-10-2008, 02:17 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
How much glass do you want to replace? If you are talking about 2 storm doors that the kids or dog keep breaking contact ProGlass in Bristol, IL. They make lexan windshields for race cars. I have a lexan coffee table top that they did for me. It is very tuff but like anything associated with racing, its not cheap.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:42 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,382 times
Default Shatter proof glass

Oh yeah! If it is thick enough, it will stop small arms fire.

You can buy Lexan (polycarbonate glass, not plexiglass) at places like Home Depot. Although, they only carry the thin stuff. Still, it's a whole lot stronger than glass, iirc 250xs stronger. The stuff is fine for replacing broken glass in a single pane window and it is cheap.

If you want the thick stuff, you can find many suppliers online who ship directly to you. They will even pre-cut to your specifications for a nominal fee. They sell various size sheets in various thicknesses. Shipping is a little pricey, because they'll use freight (a real truck) instead of UPS. Also, you'll have to be prepared to unload it.

You can also buy chop off samples.

It is my impression you can tint stuff like this with a static cling film.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Thermal Industries, Inc.: SafeHarbor Vinyl Impact Windows and Patio Doors (http://www.thermalindustries.com/safeharbor-impact-hurricane-windows/ - broken link)

Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,906 times
We had Signature Doors on our last house, with their Protector Glass option. That's one of the laminated glass products. It's hurricane resistant and supposedly will stop a .22 cal bullet (they don't say at what range .

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
My grandmothers windows in Florida were blown out in a hurricane and we replaced them with a special glass that were either a 3M product or had a 3M film on them, I can't remember...

If you are looking for security reasons, I have the screens on my windows that if the screen is cut, it sets off the alarm...just a thought.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 22,129 times
Larson makes a storm door called "Secure Elegance," which is sold through Lowe's. It has a multiple-point locking system and shatterproof sandwich glass. It's rated at 140mph for hurricanes, and comes with a $1000-insurance certificate--if anyone breaks in through it, they pay. A friend had a video camera set up outside a set of these, and entertained himself watching people try to break into his commercial contracting office. They never succeeded. We have installed four of these, DIY, and they are terrific. They even insulate. They cost about $325 and up, depending on hardware and special-order colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House