Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,463 times

Advertisements

Need To Purchase Attic Fan That Is On Our Roof - Wondering If Anyone Has Ever Used A Solar Powered One..........considering It And Wondering If It Is A Good Idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Interesting product. I think I would be concerned about a couple things:
1. no adjustable thermostat - set to go on at 80 and goes off at 70. Not sure where you are located, but here in East TN, the fan would be running from May to November. Most of the thermostat fans I have seen have settings a little higher. A 100 degree attic is not that uncommon in the summer.
2. kind of high cost at $375.
3. They show installation with only 50 year caulking. I bet when storms bow in, you might find a bunch of them in front yards.

The only advantage I see is that they don't use electricity.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
I'm curious about the attic fan question. I was told by a few roofers that the attic fan isn't really necessary any more on most homes as the new roofs have roof-vents and most have cross ventilation from vents on either side of the home plus in the eaves. I also have been told (and have lived this) that the fans require replacing every 4 yrs as they seem to freeze up.. no matter how good of one you get. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wonder.. is this all true?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:28 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
Seems to me like money would be better spent insulating the area between the attic and the living/climate controlled area...this way you would get the benefit of keeping out the undesirable temperatures (hot in summer, cold in winter) all year round...also, I would make sure attic ventilation is correct as is so you can get the "passive" ventilating system up to par.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:40 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I installed one in my brother's home 7 years ago and it made a 10 to 15 degree difference in attic temperature...

He took it out when he re-roofed with a continuous ridge vent which seems to work fairly well.

The fire chief in his city now requires a high temp cut-out switch so the fan will NOT work during a fire... I guess there have been several cases of fanning the flames...

Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I installed one in my brother's home 7 years ago and it made a 10 to 15 degree difference in attic temperature...

He took it out when he re-roofed with a continuous ridge vent which seems to work fairly well.

The fire chief in his city now requires a high temp cut-out switch so the fan will NOT work during a fire... I guess there have been several cases of fanning the flames...

I think that temperature drop is due to the fan running when ambient temperatures are low.
Attic fans set to run when the attic is hot are trying to lower the temperature during the hottest part of the day, when replacement air is at its high temperature.
It would appear that running the fan at night, and early morning when replacement air is coolest would help reduce the temperature in the attic more efficiently.

And maybe the 80 degree upper limit cut-off mentioned by a PP would satisfy the fire chief.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:17 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,463 times
Default Though What Are The Suggestions To Do: A Solar Powered Fan Or An Electric Powered Fan?

Help

Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
OK, I'll give you permission....go ahead and buy it.

Ventilation is very important. The fan is needed. You must have thought it was a good idea or you wouldn't have considered it. So go ahead, make the plunge and buy one.

Let us know how it worked out for you.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Seems to me like money would be better spent insulating the area between the attic and the living/climate controlled area...this way you would get the benefit of keeping out the undesirable temperatures (hot in summer, cold in winter) all year round...also, I would make sure attic ventilation is correct as is so you can get the "passive" ventilating system up to par.
Insulation is a given, but better ventilation will help R value do it's best work. 140+ degree attics in summertime are alot to overcome. I think it would depend on how much space you're using of that roof (knee wall of a gable, full attic unused except for storage etc) and how well you've managed thermal bridging.

Granny's old house had a beastly mechanical fan (electric) that made a racket and would suck the toupee off a mans head with vaccum pressure in the house, but the house did cool down considerably. (well, maybe I'm exagerating a tad about toupees ). The problem with her system, if I recall, was that she didn't have a big enough suction end on the other side of the attic, which made it prone to grabbing air from inside the house instead of restricting it to the attic. The attic door plate in the ceiling would whistle.

Passive ridge vents can only do so much. If that's enough to offset extreme temps after insulation, ok. Living south, I would think it wouldn't be enough.

I think the OP should ask the same question in the garden forum for people with greenhouses, because they're likely to have the most direct knowledge and use of them. I like the idea, but like ultrarunner mentioned, there are unforeseen consequences with any new application. Gasket life can be an easy adjustment if that's what's holding you back.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Need To Purchase Attic Fan That Is On Our Roof - Wondering If Anyone Has Ever Used A Solar Powered One..........considering It And Wondering If It Is A Good Idea?

Yes. They are a great idea! If you have a solar attic fan with a rated flow rate in CFM = (attic volume x 10)/60 it will greatly increase the efficiency of your AC Unit(s) in the summer.

They are also useful in the winter if you get ice dams on your eaves.

[URL="http://store.h-mac.com/solar-attic-fans.html"]Solar Attic Fans[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House