Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:40 AM

175 posts, read 602,153 times

Advertisements

We are moving to a house with oil for first time-can you please recommend a high efficient oil burner? We need to install a new one in our basement and don't know what kind or what it should be made of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylauren View Post
We are moving to a house with oil for first time-can you please recommend a high efficient oil burner? We need to install a new one in our basement and don't know what kind or what it should be made of?
Why oil? If you changing why not gas??

Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 AM

175 posts, read 602,153 times
We called Keyspan but the nearest gas line is over 3000 ft away and the cost is about $70 per foot to have the line run so it is cost prohibitive.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylauren View Post
We called Keyspan but the nearest gas line is over 3000 ft away and the cost is about $70 per foot to have the line run so it is cost prohibitive.
Check LP gas. That is what I use. The tank is likely free.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:09 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
I converted over from oil to NG, and the gas company installed the line for free with the provision I would install a new, high efficiency boiler. They didn't have to got 3000 feet, but they had to dig under the hiway and shut down the road all day, and had a large crew out there working, so it was a major expense to them. It cost them some money, but now they have a new customer to pay them back for their effort. I would certainly ask them about it.
If you have no luck there, I would follow the above suggestion about propane. As stated, if you use a certain minimum amount of fuel, they drop the tank for free, and you just pay for the fuel. I'm sure you will more than use the minimum amount of fuel to get a free tank.
The very last option to consider is going back to fuel oil. Those fuel oil boilers use diesel fuel. Stop by your local gas station and check out the price of diesel fuel today. It's almost $5.00 a gallon..! Call your local bulk fuel distributor and see how much it costs to fill a 275 gallon tank. Mine was 675 gallons. and it was outrageous to fill, even a year ago when I last used oil, now it's double the cost. I'm sure the price hasn't stopped rising, unfortunately.
As far as where to purchase a boiler, jump into your local phone book. I purchased mine from the same dealer who had been servicing my antique oil burner furnace for many years

Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 AM

One more thing...... 3000 ft X .70 is $2100.00. To fill a 275 gallon diesel tank is $1375.00. A tank and a half of diesel fuel and you break even. I would seriously consider spending the money and eliminate future worries. If you fill the tank with oil, they want a check right now. If you use NG, you can get on the level pay plan and average the cost out over the year. Much easier to deal with. They would probably even let you pay the installation over time. I would try to get them to at least share the cost of installation.
I know finding extra money when you just purchased a home is tough, but think of the big picture and future ease and convience.
I know, decisions, decisions..... Good luck..

Old 05-23-2008, 10:24 AM

My above caculation didn't take into account that you were talking about replacing your fuel tank in the near future. I bet abandoning your oil tank, and having a new tank installed above ground on a concrete pad (Today's standard) will probably cost you almost as much, if not more, as the gas line installation. Plus you don't have an ugly tank stick out of your back yard.
Check out the cost of the different operations, and you may conclude NG is the only way to go.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:44 AM

oops..! I just re-read your post and discovered it's $70 a ft, not .70 a foot. That does make a difference..! That is an outragous price. I will still be talking to the gas company about that. Must be something they would/could do....

Old 05-23-2008, 10:54 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
On ALL matters of energy....
It's not the cost per gallon/liter/pound etc etc etc that counts.

It's the cost per BTU or calorie if you will.

I know that means actually understanding a wee bit of science but otherwise these arguments about oil,gas,LPP, electricity etc etc are pointless.

You may now return to the usual discussion.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
oops..! I just re-read your post and discovered it's $70 a ft, not .70 a foot. That does make a difference..! That is an outragous price. I will still be talking to the gas company about that. Must be something they would/could do....
Wow. Geo-thermal is not that expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House