Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 11:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,342,884 times

Advertisements

What type of plexiglass is used for this purpose? And is the frame aluminum?

Where can I get these materials?
Can I get these "sunroom" materials to build my own?-sunroom1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 05:35 AM

6,402 posts, read 4,334,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
What type of plexiglass is used for this purpose? And is the frame aluminum?

Where can I get these materials?
Attachment 236425
Obviously the one shown is custom made in order to conform to specific dimensions, roof pitch and the framework appears to be aluminum while the glazing typically could be insulated glass or acrylic depending on the use and location of the room.

You could google sunroom or all season rooms, contractors and manufacturer’s and you will see various contractors and manufacturers. There are standard units that can be purchased that get installed against the side of your house or ones that will be fabricated to specific dimensions. You can also order framing and panels to any specific size and dimension depending on the specific layout of the room. Many pool enclosures are constructed of aluminum tube frames and insulated glass panels.

Your best option would be to hire a contractor who is familiar with and specializes in sunroof.

Last edited by Rickcin; 04-24-2022 at 05:47 AM..

Old 04-24-2022, 06:16 AM

3,136 posts, read 2,490,176 times
You can get sunroom kits. I've seen a few houses with them around here and, TBH, they're kind of cheap looking.

I don't have a sunroom, but I do have an enclosed porch. Keep in mind that the room is literally going to be a greenhouse that's hot in the summer, with no breeze, and chilly in the winter. You'll have all of those windows to wash, too.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:20 AM

700 posts, read 456,077 times
Read this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...een-house.html

Old 04-24-2022, 12:56 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,957,250 times
Robert

There are do it yourself sun room kits for sale so Google them. I doubt the one you showed is a do it yourself kits, especially with the curved sections.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:08 AM

32,814 posts, read 48,716,262 times
In order to get the curved plexiglass, you will have to by a kit. However, if you put a normal shaped roof on your sun room all the materials are readily available

If you are going to use glass, there is going to be a requirement that you use safety glass for windows at certain heights, ie: ones that a person might fall against. You will have to look up the code, or else ask at your building permits office.

Old 04-25-2022, 01:42 PM

8,536 posts, read 7,559,111 times
I would suggest that you review the following threads already posted about this sort of thing:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...room-like.html

Old 04-25-2022, 02:03 PM

700 posts, read 456,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I would suggest that you review the following threads already posted about this sort of thing:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...room-like.html
I had already posted the first link myself

The OP seems to have had a second username and has posted about this same (weird) topic a couple times. Well, a sunroom in and of itself is not weird, but the OP's logic about how easy/cheap/DIY it can be is "out there."

My only actual advice:

get estimates
hire a professional to do it
get permits

Old 05-03-2022, 07:32 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,342,884 times
My numerous projects are finally starting. Need to try to control budget somewhere; and this is where I think has the most fat to trim. Especially, my roof has a diagonally-slanted edge so it will need custom package.

I have a team of workers building a 2-story house. I'm sure they can build a structurally-sound sunroom. I think I just need the right plexiglass that won't fog up for at least ___ years under daily UV attack.

I hope to find something that can last at least 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House