Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 07:06 PM

30,414 posts, read 21,222,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Tell me how much of a clown you feel when you have to shell out for a new battery. Batteries loose capacity over time no matter how often you use them.

Hey its different strokes for different folks. A push reel mower, an electric (cord or battery), and gas all have their place. I dont appreciate the big marketing push for battery mowers in the "best lawn mower" advice blogs, some are fine, but the fine ones also tend to be high dollar with no track record. If thats what you want then great. But do your homework and know what you are buying and risk you are taking, few people have much experience with battery mowers. May be the best thing since sliced bread, but personally let somebody else gamble their money and see how they hold up long term first. My guess a cheap gas mower might be better deal than a cheap battery mower, saying that, cheap maybe not great way to go either way.
I buy new stuff duff every 3 to 5 years anyways.I just as well get a new mower when the batts goes bro. So far doing fine at 3.5 years old so if the batt goes today ray i just get a new mower since a batt is near 70% of a new mower cost anyways. Always had gas las until the last Craftsman i got in 2015 that only lasted 2 years and when i got it fixed it was even worse so out to the street it went pete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 06:47 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I love my yard and would be happy to leave it all over grown but town code says I have to keep it mowed.

So I leave little patches un-mowed here and there to satisfy my need for wild spaces and nature. I have a few al in various stages of growth. If one starts to look too messy (risk of a neighbor complaining) I mow it down and start another.
I live in rural area and I could let it grow up and some of it not used, I have. But honestly between the hordes of ticks, and wanting to be able to see any snakes (there are poisonous ones here that dont appreciate being stepped on), its worth it.

I remember hearing some dumb thing on NPR about group people (cant remember what they called themselves now, it was years ago) wanting to frollick nekkid in nature. Maybe some idealized Disney park meticulously groomed, dangerous wildlife removed by staff, and sprayed to within an inch of its life for bugs. But in real world mosquitoes, ticks, brambles, snakes. Oh and one year had bear wander up by the house though they are kinda rare here. Oh and if you did get down in the grass, chiggers. Well cant imagine the fantasy would last too long in a real "wilderness".

I dont need THAT much mowed area, just the parts I use or dont want growing up to brush. Mowing can be practical not just some idealized park and golf course thing. Saying that, modern mowers really arent designed for rough ground, thats why I keep ancient Yazoo patched together.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:57 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I buy new stuff duff every 3 to 5 years anyways.I just as well get a new mower when the batts goes bro. So far doing fine at 3.5 years old so if the batt goes today ray i just get a new mower since a batt is near 70% of a new mower cost anyways. Always had gas las until the last Craftsman i got in 2015 that only lasted 2 years and when i got it fixed it was even worse so out to the street it went pete.
Ah yes, realize my outlook is different, I expect machines to last 20 to 30 years with maintenance. Most people have a much shorter perspective. My old Yazoo mower is 60 to 70 years old. And frankly I just couldnt buy anything like it so keep patching it to use in rougher areas. If it became unrepairable, then I would just have to build a mower from scratch (I weld). The plastic suburban mowers dont cut it, not even the expensive ones.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:04 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Quote:
Thank you for keeping the Chinese economy booming.

Me, I'm more like the other poster that expects to maintain his equipment and expects it to last with regular maintenance. A gasoline mower ought to last at least 50 years with reasonable maintenance and replacement of consumable items plus an occasional repair. An electric mower should last even longer. Batteries will eventually wear out but knowing their preferred discharge/recharge pattern will extend their life a lot.

The main kicker in all this is UV degradation of plastic parts - once they get brittle you're done. If they're minor repair parts (like that little plastic bell crank on Briggs motors) you can buy replacement parts, but if it's something like the mower deck, it's probably not being made as a replacement part. After 20 or 30 years your only source for those plastic parts will be other products of the same age, with the same problem. So, choose your machinery wisely for long life.

Or, buy new every few years and pour your money away.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:47 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,891,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I love my yard and would be happy to leave it all over grown but town code says I have to keep it mowed.

So I leave little patches un-mowed here and there to satisfy my need for wild spaces and nature. I have a few al in various stages of growth. If one starts to look too messy (risk of a neighbor complaining) I mow it down and start another.
I love letting my lawn go wild. I get wildflowers that the bees love and fireflies love the long grass. It's cool to sit on the front step and watch all the fireflies. Only one other guy on my street has them.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I love letting my lawn go wild. I get wildflowers that the bees love and fireflies love the long grass. It's cool to sit on the front step and watch all the fireflies. Only one other guy on my street has them.
How nice for you both! I have a neurotic neighbor who literally measures mine (I've caught him in the act) and reports me to the city if it's one millimeter over the city code limit.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:31 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How nice for you both! I have a neurotic neighbor who literally measures mine (I've caught him in the act) and reports me to the city if it's one millimeter over the city code limit.

I've had two different neighbors offer to "mow that deep part" with their riding mowers (they have smaller yards than mine but use these giant noisy smelly things) and I continue to politely decline. I inherited one wild patch when I bought the place, it's all grown over brambles and nettles. I am gradually reclaiming that space, because it isn't pleasant and I don't care for all those brambles. They spread everhwhere.

But like another poster mentioned my little spots I leave in the yard have all these little spring wildflowers in them (and tiny strawberries!) and I take such pleasure in them.

These patches aren't large like the ugly bramble and weed patch, just little fairy circles, in the center areas of my back yard, and bigger patches under the apple trees and lilac trees.. Plus, if it gets very dry, I'll have seed to reseed my burnt up lawn for the grass that's gone to seed.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Ah yes, realize my outlook is different, I expect machines to last 20 to 30 years with maintenance. Most people have a much shorter perspective. My old Yazoo mower is 60 to 70 years old. And frankly I just couldnt buy anything like it so keep patching it to use in rougher areas. If it became unrepairable, then I would just have to build a mower from scratch (I weld). The plastic suburban mowers dont cut it, not even the expensive ones.
My father bought Craftsman mowers since the late 1970's. They would last around 7 years. I also mowed many other yards as well. Now that gas is no more good for gas mowers i went with a EGO. Can't be a more happy pappy. I am in FL with thick grass so it gets used a lot.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Speaking of wild i gotta call code on the peeps next door as they don't mow joe so gonna call this AM.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Quote:
My father bought Craftsman mowers since the late 1970's. They would last around 7 years. ...
So like father, like son, don't do any maintenance or upkeep on your equipment and trash it prematurely?

OK, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House