Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 05:54 PM

30,471 posts, read 21,329,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Get an electric.
I sure don't wanna drag a cord around like a clown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 03:59 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,609,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post

Cordless. They use a battery. Most last 30-45 minutes.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:15 AM

30,471 posts, read 21,329,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cordless. They use a battery. Most last 30-45 minutes.
I know i have had one for over 3 years dear. He said electric rick.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:36 AM

6,371 posts, read 2,913,730 times
Quote:
Maybe the OP wouldn't mind. But if he has the dough he could go big:
Quote:

Mean Green releases autonomous commercial electric zero turn

At this year’s GIE+EXPO, Mean Green Mowers unveiled its new autonomous commercial electric zero-turn mower, also known as ATOM.
https://www.totallandscapecare.com/b...tric-zero-turn

Old 06-16-2021, 01:14 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,659,006 times
Quote:
Tell me how much of a clown you feel when you have to shell out for a new battery. Batteries loose capacity over time no matter how often you use them.

Hey its different strokes for different folks. A push reel mower, an electric (cord or battery), and gas all have their place. I dont appreciate the big marketing push for battery mowers in the "best lawn mower" advice blogs, some are fine, but the fine ones also tend to be high dollar with no track record. If thats what you want then great. But do your homework and know what you are buying and risk you are taking, few people have much experience with battery mowers. May be the best thing since sliced bread, but personally let somebody else gamble their money and see how they hold up long term first. My guess a cheap gas mower might be better deal than a cheap battery mower, saying that, cheap maybe not great way to go either way.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:31 PM

21,952 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Can we just do away with these stupid lawns that need to be mowed or cost money to mow perpetually altogether? Nothing would thrill me more but for the cost to convert to self-maintaining ground cover, a hardscape, or even concrete at my house. The British have the right idea, IMO: attached residences right on the street with a window box in front and potted plants in the walled garden or courtyard out back if laboring to grow something is a particular need of yours (it is is not one of mine) or strikes your fancy.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:56 PM

19,823 posts, read 22,721,802 times
I have a small area around our home that is 'lawn'- the rest of the acreage is natural bunchgrasses etc. I use a Scott's reel mower and it does great. I just cruise around the yard and pick up pine cones and dog turds before I mow and then get to it. I mow twice a week (we irrigate). After every use I sweep off the grass then spritz the blades and wheels lightly with WD-40. Downside is that we should bag clippings every now and again. Things don't rot here so mulching requires raking. Twice yearly.

It's a breeze to touch up the blades. I do it every few years. Easy peezy.

My wife does not like it. We just bought an an EGO self propelled. It bags stuff. So far 4 mowings with it and it does a great job. Battery has life left after she's done.

When my son is home he mows the 'wild' areas once a year with this-

You can run that old Cub all year on a tank of gas.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I know i have had one for over 3 years dear. He said electric rick.

The battery operated ones are called electric mowers also. But yeah I wouldn't want the corded kind either.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Tell me how much of a clown you feel when you have to shell out for a new battery. Batteries loose capacity over time no matter how often you use them.

Hey its different strokes for different folks. A push reel mower, an electric (cord or battery), and gas all have their place. I dont appreciate the big marketing push for battery mowers in the "best lawn mower" advice blogs, some are fine, but the fine ones also tend to be high dollar with no track record. If thats what you want then great. But do your homework and know what you are buying and risk you are taking, few people have much experience with battery mowers. May be the best thing since sliced bread, but personally let somebody else gamble their money and see how they hold up long term first. My guess a cheap gas mower might be better deal than a cheap battery mower, saying that, cheap maybe not great way to go either way.

It's not always about money. I chose a battery mower because I cannot manage a gas powered machine. I don't have the physical stamina to deal with all that comes with it and I have a severe intolerance to noise and smells.

In other words I'm decrepit and tired with a sensory disorder, and wiling to pay for the convenience and ease of battery powered lawn mower (and the matching snow blower, two batteries, for both). If I have to shell out $200 every 3-4 years for a new battery, it's well worth it to me.

How much does gas and oil cost, over the same time period? Everything cost money to run and maintain.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Can we just do away with these stupid lawns that need to be mowed or cost money to mow perpetually altogether? Nothing would thrill me more but for the cost to convert to self-maintaining ground cover, a hardscape, or even concrete at my house. The British have the right idea, IMO: attached residences right on the street with a window box in front and potted plants in the walled garden or courtyard out back if laboring to grow something is a particular need of yours (it is is not one of mine) or strikes your fancy.

I love my yard and would be happy to leave it all over grown but town code says I have to keep it mowed.

So I leave little patches un-mowed here and there to satisfy my need for wild spaces and nature. I have a few al in various stages of growth. If one starts to look too messy (risk of a neighbor complaining) I mow it down and start another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House