Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,921 times

Advertisements

My house needs to be painted, but no rush. Do you think if I wait until winter I will get a better price(around the holidays)? Has anyone gone that route? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Generally you won't gain a price advantage- but there are other advantages. Winter; the holiday time- that's too late unless you're in south FL.
If over night tempertures get close to freezing, that's not good for paint. Late fall is a good time for painting. Temp's are in the low 70's to high 60's during the day, and 40's at night. Chaulk and paint have ideal curing tempertures. If it's too cold, they won't cure at all. It's amazing what happens to paint with a little frost or, better yet freezing temp's- it looks like alligator skin, then peels like crazy. If it's too hot they cure too quickly and fail after a short period.
Spring temp's are similar- but the problem is pollen coating everything- even after pressure washing.
Good Luck-

Old 05-08-2008, 11:50 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
My house needs to be painted, but no rush. Do you think if I wait until winter I will get a better price(around the holidays)? Has anyone gone that route? Thanks!
A "GOOD" painter is busy year round doing work on interiors and exteriors.
You might offer the painter the opportunity to paint your home when it's good for him if you're in no rush. Good painters are hard to find. It's one of those trades where everyone thinks they know how to do it like a pro.
I DO paint well but I do mainly home home improvements. The reason I "know" good painters are hard to find is because I've seen my fair share of schlock painters out there....after all I am in the business. (see my website in my profile if you want). I've learned how to do most everything over my 30+ years in the business being it's so difficult to find good people. When I do find good people the one thing I do is "pay them on time"!
Usually you get what you pay for! Not always...but usually ...if you do your homework.
Good luck

Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 6,026 times
did you get someone to do you the job for your house if you didnt my husband works on that and he really needs a job right now if your still interested please write me back he'll give you a good price and he's a good painter interior and exterior

Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,345 times
I would make sure to get some estimates. We did and painting the entire house will be $3K, getting new siding will cost us about $10K...We decided to wait and get new siding within a few years. If you paint it and the siding is in bad shape you may end up having to replace it. IMO I think painting the exterior is only good if you can get 10 years out of it..No way will ours last 10 more years so we are not wasting money on paint and then having to spend more in a few years on siding.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
If the siding is bad then you want that siding replaced when putting any other siding over it liike vinyl or aluminum. Persoanlly I really don't like eother and it usually redues the value of the house as most hide problems underneath.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If the siding is bad then you want that siding replaced when putting any other siding over it liike vinyl or aluminum. Persoanlly I really don't like eother and it usually redues the value of the house as most hide problems underneath.
Check Hardi siding. I'm no big fan of faux siding but I have to admit...Hardi makes some pretty nice stuff..plus it's good for the enviorment..and lasts a longggggggggggggggggggggg time!!!
James Hardie: World Leader in Fiber Cement Siding and Backerboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House